When I made Baked Corned Beef for St. Patrick’s day I was going to just boil the cabbage we were having with it because both Chris and I LOVE boiled cabbage with a bit of butter melted on it but instead tried something different.
Here are the ingredients I used.
I cooked the bacon then set it on some paper towel to drain before I diced it and set it aside. I reserved most of the grease from it to fry the onions and shredded carrots. I fried them on medium high heat until they had just softened.
Next I added the cut up cabbage, onion powder and paprika to the pan with about 1/4 cup of water and cooked it, again over medium high heat, for about 10 minutes until the cabbage just started to soften.
When the cabbage was cooked, I stirred in the bacon and it was ready to serve.
Fried Cabbage with Bacon and Onions
Preparation Time: 20 minutes Cooking Time: 25 minutes Servings: 4
- 1 head of cabbage, I used Chinese cabbage, chopped
- 6 slices thick bacon
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 tsp. onion powder
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 1/4 cup water
- Cook bacon until crisp, saving grease for cooking onions and carrots. Place cooked bacon on paper towels to drain grease. Chop and set aside.
- Add onion and shredded carrots to pan and fry over medium heat until they have started to soften.
- Add shredded cabbage, onion powder, paprika and water to pan, mix and then cook over medium high heat for about 10 minutes until cabbage is starting to soften.
- Add cooked/chopped bacon and stir to combine.