This recipe is a nice change from making Boston Baked Beans. It has 3 kinds of meat and dried bean mixture giving it lots of flavour… and the fact you can cook it in the crock pot is even better. I like to make crock pot meals on Thursdays when I have my weekly out of town Dr.’s appointments, that way when I come home I just have to pour everything in the crock pot and there is a delicious meal cooking while I nap!!
These are my ingredients.
The first thing I did was to boil the dried beans in about 6 cups of water for about 2 hours and then let them sit overnight to start softening them.
The next morning I cooked both the sausage meat and ground beef in the microwave until it was fully cooked and any juices ran clear before draining it and adding the cooked, chopped bacon.
I poured the precooked/soaked beans into the crock pot with the ground beef mixture, stirring to combine.
In a small bowl I mixed the ketchup, mustard, dried onions. brown sugar, molasses, chili powder and garlic powder, making the “sauce.”
I poured the sauce into the crockpot with the meat mixture and beans and stirred until it was fully combined.
I cooked it on low heat for about 8 hours and had a nice, stick to your ribs kind of meal ready to go for dinner!
Crock Pot Cowboy Beans
Preparation Time: 2 hours + Cooking Time: 8 hours Servings: 6 – 8
- Cook mixed beans in 6 cups of water, boiling for 2 hours. Let sit in water overnight. Do not drain.
- Brown ground beef and sausage in microwave until fully cooked and any juices run clear. Drain.
- Add cooked/chopped bacon to ground beef mixture.
- Pour beans and water and ground beef mixture into crock pot bowl.
- In a small bowl mix the ketchup, mustard, dried onions. brown sugar, molasses, chili powder and garlic powder until smooth.
- Add ketchup mixture to crock pot bowl and mix well to combine.
- Cook on low heat for 8 hours, until beans are tender and it is heated through.
- Serve immediately.