I think I mentioned earlier in the week when I posted the Peanut Butter Oatmeal Cookies that I also made a recipe for squares, along the lines of a crispy rice cereal square we all know and love but with a different type of cereal. Pretty much any type of cereal would work.
I used to make the kids Puffed Wheat squares the same way when they were younger. For whatever reason, both of my kids absolutely LOVED Puffed Wheat cereal, but not with milk and sugar or anything… just plain how it comes out of the bag, like most people would eat popcorn or something. Mind you I certainly didn’t complain that they preferred something that was actually good for them for snacking… it just seemed weird to me. I grew up hating puffed wheat lol!
Well, here it is… finally!
These are the ingredients I used to make these squares.
I melted the margarine in a large microwave safe bowl and poured in the marshmallows, stirring to coat them with the melted margarine.
I returned the bowl to the microwave for another 2 minutes to melt the marshmallows, stirring them until smooth before adding the vanilla and stirring it in.
I added the cereal and stirred until all of the cereal was fully coated in the melted marshmallow.
And then pressed it into a parchment paper lined 9 x 13 baking pan before putting it in the fridge to chill until they were set. About an hour.
Once fully set, I cut into squares before putting them on a plate and adding them in baggies to their lunches!
Cookies & Cream Cereal Bars
Preparation Time: 5 minutes Chilling Time: 1 hour Servings: 24 squares
- 1/4 cup butter/margarine
- 1 bag marshmallows
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 box Cookies & Cream type cereal
- Line 9 x 13 baking pan with parchment paper.
- In large microwave safe bowl, melt margarine.
- Add marshmallows to bowl and stir to coat marshmallows evenly with melted margarine.
- Return to microwave for about 2 minutes until the marshmallows are melted, stir.
- Add vanilla and stir to combine.
- Pour cereal into bowl and stir until cereal is completely coated in marshmallow.
- Press into prepared 9 x 13 baking pan.
- Place in fridge to chill until set, about 1 hour.
- Cut into squares and serve.