When I was talking to Dillon one day about trying to make some “muffin tin” recipes, his first idea was some sort of meatloaf variation…. Meatloaf Cupcakes. He asked me if this was something I could make. I told him I could, I would just have to figure out the “logistics” of making them lol… What would I use for the “icing” and things like that.
Several months later, and during a week when I am completely exhausted, I decided to try them.
This might seem like a really good “Kid’s Meal,” but both Dillon and Chris really enjoyed them!
Here are my ingredients… except the cheese because it was a last minute addition and the cherry tomatoes… I just forgot to put them in the picture… I did say I am exhausted lol!
I started out by mixing the meatloaf part first.
I put the ground beef in a large mixing bowl with the bread crumbs, garlic powder, chili powder, dehydrated onions, egg and ketchup and mixed it until everything was well combined.
I divided this mixture into 6 “balls” to fit my large muffin pan cups.
I pressed the meat mixture into the bottom of each muffin tin cup.
I pressed one “cube” of cheddar into the centre of each cup.
And baked this at 375 degrees for about 30 minutes and then carefully drained the grease from the muffin tin.
While it was cooking, I spooned the leftover mashed potatoes into a large icing bag.
I thought this would make it easier… and neater to put the mashed potato “icing” onto the meatloaf “muffins.”
I cut the tip off of the icing bag and “piped” the mashed potatoes onto the meatloaf portions, topping it off with a cherry tomato on each one.
I returned the pan to the oven for an additional 25 minutes, until the potatoes were heated through and starting to brown. I served it with some mixed vegetables, salad and deviled eggs!
Preparation Time: 15 minutes Cooking Time: 55 minutes Servings: 6
- 1 1/2 lbs. lean ground beef
- 3/4 cup bread crumbs
- 2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 2 tsp. dehydrated onions
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 2 cups leftover mashed potatoes
- 6 – 1 inch cubes cheddar
- 6 cherry tomatoes
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In large bowl, mix together ground beef, bread crumbs, garlic powder, chili powder, dehydrated onions, egg and ketchup, mixing until well combined.
- Divide meat mixture into 6 balls.
- Press balls into muffin tin cups.
- Push one cube of cheddar into the centre of each filled muffin tin cup.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 30 minutes then drain grease.
- Spoon mashed potato into icing bag.
- Cut tip off of icing bag and “pipe” mashed potato onto cooked meatloaf portions to make cupcake “icing.”
- Add a cherry tomato to the top of each “cupcake.”
- Return to oven for another 25 minutes.
- Remove from pan and serve.