One night last week I had some thawed chicken breasts I couldn’t decide what to do with. I didn’t want to make them just plain and I didn’t want to just give them a crumb coating or sauce or anything like that. When I looked in the fridge I remembered I had bought a few heads of broccoli… that was it… I decided to stuff the chicken breasts with a mixture of cheese and broccoli! An easy and fairly quick dish to prepare and it was well received by both Chris and Dillon.
This is what I started with.
I started by slicing the chicken breasts almost in half. I left about 1 inch still attached.
In a medium bowl, I combined the finely chopped broccoli, grated cheese, chopped red pepper and 3 tbsp. mayonnaise, stirring to combine.
I divided this mixture evenly between the two chicken breasts, filling in where I cut the slit.
I placed toothpicks in each chicken breast to hold it together, and placed them in my prepared baking pan.
And as a last minute idea, I brushed the tops of the chicken breasts with the remaining tbsp. of mayonnaise before sprinkling them with panko crumbs.
I baked them at 375 degrees for about 40 minutes, until they were browned and cooked through.
And served them with some Crispy Roast Potatoes and veggies!
Broccoli & Cheese Stuffed Chicken Breasts
Preparation Time: 10 minutes Cooking Time: 40 minutes Servings: 2
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup finely chopped broccoli
- 1 cup grated cheese
- 1/3 cup chopped red pepper
- 4 tbsp. mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup panko crumbs
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease 9 x 13 baking pan.
- Cut slit in chicken breasts, almost cutting them in half widthwise.
- In medium bowl, combine broccoli, cheese, red pepper and 3 tbsp. of mayonnaise, stir to combine.
- Fill chicken breasts with mixture in space where slit was cut.
- Use toothpicks to hold chicken breasts closed and place in pan.
- Brush remaining tbsp. mayonnaise evenly over tops of chicken breasts.
- Sprinkle with panko.
- Bake uncovered at 375 degrees for 40 minutes, until tops are browned and chicken is cooked through.