I decided I wanted to up the Macaroni game… try some different combinations. I made a White Cheese Macaroni with Caramelized Onions before but this time I went a different route, adding chicken, bacon and four different cheese varieties, including blue cheese.
It was a hit. Both Chris and Dillon enjoyed it so I will definitely be making this again!
Here are the ingredients I used.
I cooked the macaroni according to the package directions and drained it.
I cooked and shredded the chicken breasts and then cooked and crumbled the bacon.
In a large microwave safe bowl, I melted the margarine then added the flour and then the milk and cream, whisking between each ingredient until smooth.
I microwaved this on high until it was starting to thicken, about 4 minutes, stirring at each 60 second interval.
I added the parmesan, habanero and double cheddar cheeses to the mixture and stirred until the cheese was melted.
I added the blue cheese to the drained macaroni noodles and stirred until melted before adding the chicken, bacon and prepared cheese sauce.
I mixed it all up and poured it into my prepared baking pan.
I mixed the melted margarine with the panko crumbs and sprinkled it over the top of the macaroni, followed by the second amount of parmesan.
And then baked it, covered with aluminum foil, at 350 degrees for 45 minutes, removing the foil during the last 15 minutes of cooking time to brown the panko crumbs.
And then served it with garlic bread made using the Sour Cream and Chives bread I made and froze!
Four Cheese Macaroni with Chicken, Bacon and Blue Cheese
Preparation Time: 30 minutes Cooking Time: 45 minutes Servings: 4 – 6
- 2 chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
- 6 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 4 cups macaroni noodles, cooked according to package directions
- 2 tbsp. butter/margarine
- 2 tbsp. flour
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3/4 cup shredded parmesan
- 1 cup habanero cheese
- 2 cups double cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup creamy blue cheese
- 2 tbsp. melted butter/margarine
- 1 cup panko crumbs
- 1/2 cup shredded parmesan
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Generously grease 9 x 13 baking pan.
- Cook and shred chicken/cook and crumble bacon. Set aside.
- Cook macaroni noodles according to package directions.
- In large microwave safe bowl, melt first amount of butter/margarine.
- Whisk in flour and then milk and cream until smooth.
- Microwave on high for about 4 minutes, stirring every 60 seconds, until it starts to thicken.
- Add parmesan, habanero and double cheddar cheeses and stir until cheese is melted.
- Add blue cheese to cooked an drained macaroni noodles and stir until melted.
- Add cheese sauce, chicken and bacon to macaroni noodles and stir to fully coat.
- Pour into prepared baking pan.
- In small bowl, combine panko crumbs with melted margarine. Stir.
- Sprinkle panko crumbs evenly over top of macaroni.
- Sprinkle second amount of shredded parmesan over panko crumbs.
- Cover with aluminum foil and cook at 350 degrees for 45 minutes, removing foil during final 15 minutes to brown topping.