As I’ve mentioned numerous times before, I try to plan/make dinner ahead of time on Thursdays because that is the day I usually have my out of town doctor’s appointment and all I want to do is nap when I get home lol!
Last night I decided to try cooking a whole chicken in the crock pot so it was ready at dinner with minimal effort on my part. I had some leftover frozen mashed potatoes already so all I had to do at dinner time was cook some veggies and make a gravy with the drippings from the chicken!
Chris actually thought I had picked up a deli rotisserie chicken to have with dinner!
Here is all I used to make it. The grocery store had a great sale on whole chickens last week so I bought a package of 2. I will likely cook the second one the same way but maybe serve it with fries and a nice dipping sauce!
The first thing I did was to rinse the chicken and then make 4 balls out of aluminum foil and place them in the bottom of my crock pot. This kept the chicken drippings separate for when I was making the gravy.
I mixed all of the spices in a small bowl.
Brushed the entire chicken with olive oil….
Rubbed the spice mixture all over the chicken.
And then placed the chicken in the crock pot bowl, resting on the 4 aluminum foil balls.
And then I cooked it on low heat for about 6 hours until it was cooked through.
I removed the chicken from the pan, poured the juice in a bowl to make gravy and cut the chicken into pieces on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet, removing bones as I went. The meat practically fell away from the bones, making the latter very easy.
I put the cut up chicken in a 350 degree oven for about 20 minutes to crisp up the skin and mixed a corn starch and cold water mixture into the gravy, thickening it on high heat in the microwave (about 3 minutes) before serving the chicken, with the gravy topped mashed potatoes and some veggies. Both of the boys pretty much cleaned their plates lol!
Crock Pot – Rotisserie Style Whole Chicken
Preparation Time: 5 minutes Cooking Time: 6 – 7 hours Servings: 2 – 4
- 1 whole chicken, mine was about 3 lbs.
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 1 tsp. dried basil
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
- 2 tbsp. corn starch
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup broth, optional to make more gravy
- Roll up 4 pieces of aluminum foil into balls and place in bottom of crock pot bowl.
- Rinse chicken then brush with olive oil.
- Mix all spices in small bowl and rub all over chicken.
- Place in crock pot bowl, resting on aluminum foil balls.
- Cook on low heat for 6 – 7 hours until cooked through.
- Remove chicken to parchment paper lined cookie sheet and cut into pieces.
- Remove juices to microwave safe bowl.
- Place chicken pieces in 350 degree oven for about 20 minutes, to crisp skin.
- Add a mixture of corn starch and the water and add to drippings/juice.
- Microwave on high heat for about 3 minutes until thickened.
- Serve chicken with gravy, and mashed potatoes and veggies, optional.