Last week I decided to make some burgers. I really didn’t know when I decided to make them what kind of burgers I was going to make but they ended up being a Garlic Bacon flavoured burgers. The boys thoroughly enjoyed them…. which is good because I made enough of them for 2 meals… I froze half of them for another day!
I remember years ago trying to make burgers and they always, always, always fell apart when cooking. I think I know why now…. I always made my burgers before based on how you make meatloaf…. with eggs, breadcrumbs and such and I am pretty sure that’s why I had so many issues. The burgers seem to stay together much better without those ingredients!
Making your own burgers is fairly quick and easy and the combinations are endless! I can’t wait for the next idea to hit so I can make some more!
Here are the ingredients I used to make them.
I chopped the bacon and added it to a large bowl with the ground beef, garlic powder, onion powder, cayenne and paprika.
Using both a fork and my hands I mixed it really well and then divided the mixture into 8 balls. (I used 2 lbs. of ground beef, giving me 8 “quarter pound” burgers)
I placed each ball, one at a time, into my “Patty” press to form each burger unto all 8 were done. You can see the nice big “chunks” of bacon in the burgers.
And then cooked them. For the first batch I just cooked them in the frying pan because I wasn’t convinced they would stay together lol… I just cooked them until they were cooked through and both sides were browned. We are going to try grilling the ones I froze next time.
Once they were fully cooked, I sprinkled a small handful (about a quarter cup) of grated cheese on top and let it melt before placing them on buns and topping them with burger sauce!
Garlic Bacon Burgers
Preparation Time: 10 minutes Cooking Time: 25 minutes Servings: 8 burgers (I cooked 4 and froze 4)
- 2 lbs. lean ground beef
- 8 slices bacon, chopped
- 2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 1/2 tsp. cayenne
- 1/2 tsp. paprika
- salt and pepper to taste, optional
- 1 cup grated cheese
- Chop bacon and add to large bowl with the ground beef, garlic powder, onion powder, cayenne and paprika.
- Mix by hand and fork until well combined.
- Divide mixture into 8 balls.
- Shape each ball into a patty by hand or using a patty press.
- Place in frying pan and cook over medium high heat until cooked through and both sides are browned.
- Sprinkle with grated cheese and let melt.
- Place on buns with your favourite burger sauce or toppings.
- Alternatively, grill until cooked through then continue with steps 6 and 7.