Here is a recipe I have been wanting to try for awhile. I have seen a lot of them that use just sour cream in them but we really like the creamy mayonnaise based potato salad so I changed things up to include mayonnaise in my version of this popular recipe, and I cheated a bit making it by cooking the cubed potatoes in the microwave like I do with my Microwave Mashed Potatoes!
These are my ingredients… plus the dill I decided on half way through!
I began by washing the potatoes and cutting them into small cubes before placing them in a large microwave safe bowl.
I covered the bowl tightly with plastic wrap and cooked in the microwave on high heat until they were cooked through. This took about 12 minutes, stirring half way through.
I added the chopped red onion and mixed to combine and placed the potatoes in the fridge to cool for about 1 hour. It helps stop the potatoes from just absorbing all of the dressing.
In a medium bowl I mixed together the sour cream, mayonnaise, salt and pepper and dill, mixing until smooth.
I added the sour cream mixture, 3/4 cup of grated cheese and bacon to the potato and onion mixture.
And served to combine all the ingredients evenly, making sure to coat all the potatoes.
And then topped it with the remaining 1/4 cup of grated cheese as garnish before placing in fridge to chill until it was time to serve!
Giving us a creamy Loaded Baked Potato salad!
Loaded Baked Potato Salad
Preparation Time: 20 minutes Chilling Time: 1 – 2 hours Servings: 6 – 8
- 5 or 6 medium potatoes
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tsp. dill
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup grated cheddar
- 1 cup bacon, cooked and crumbled
- Wash and cube potatoes and place in large microwave safe bowl.
- Cover tightly in plastic wrap and cook in microwave on high heat until finger tender, about 12 minutes, stirring at the half way point.
- Add chopped onion to potatoes and place in fridge for about 1 hour to cool.
- In medium bowl, combine sour cream, mayonnaise, dill and salt and pepper and stir until smooth.
- Add sour cream mixture, bacon and 3/4 cup of grated cheddar to the potatoes and onion.
- Stir to combine, making sure potatoes are fully coated in dressing.
- Sprinkle with remaining grated cheese.
- Chill, covered, until serving.