I know, it doesn’t sound all that appealing when you first read the title but this BBQ sauce is worth trying. The root beer gives it just the right amount of sweetness and makes anything you put it on really, really good!
I used it the other night on chicken legs but you can use it on pork chops, ribs, whatever you like to BBQ and it will be absolutely delicious!
Here are the ingredients. You can find Liquid Smoke at most grocery stores fairly easy.
Pour all ingredients into a medium sauce pan.
Bring to a full boil and then lower heat and allow to simmer for about 25 minutes.
Remove from heat and allow to fully cool.
Pour into bottle and refrigerate for up to 2 months. I actually reused the root beer bottle and the empty bottle from the bbq sauce used as a base!
Note: If it isn’t as thick as you would like, you can mix in 2 tbsp. corn starch and 1/4 cup water to sauce and mix until thickened.
Root Beer BBQ Sauce
Preparation Time: 5 minutes Cooking Time: 30 minutes Servings: about 3 cups
- 2 cups bottled barbecue sauce
- 2 cup root beer
- 3 tsp. minced garlic
- 1 tbsp. liquid smoke
- 3 tbsp. soy sauce
- optional, 2 tbsp. corn starch and 1/4 cup water, see note below
- Pour all ingredients into medium sauce pan.
- Bring to a full boil and lower heat to allow it to simmer for about 20 minutes.
- If needed mix in a cornstarch and water mixture to thicken.
- Allow to fully cool.
- Pour into bottles and refrigerate for up to 2 months.