It’s been a while since I’ve made a fancied up cake for dessert. Since we were having “company” on Sunday I thought it was the perfect time to make one.
This time I decided on a chocolate cake base with a peanut butter icing and decorated with peanut butter cups! Chocolate and peanut butter… does it get any better?
Here is everything I started with, although I realized after I started that I didn’t have enough of the creamy peanut butter for my icing and switched to crunchy!
To start I baked 2 – 9″ round cakes, according to the package directions, then once cooled I leveled one off using a large sharp knife so it would sit somewhat straight when layered.
NOTE: While the cake was baking I put one of the packages of peanut butter cups in the freezer to make it easier to break it into small pieces later.
Next was making the peanut butter icing.
In the bowl of my stand mixer I creamed together the margarine and peanut butter until smooth.
Next I added the icing sugar and milk and mixed on low until fully blended and then let it mix at medium speed for about 3 – 4 minutes to make it smooth and creamy.
I broke up the frozen peanut butter cups, iced the bottom layer of the cake and sprinkled half of the peanut butter cup pieces on top.
I put the top layer on and iced the whole cake.
To finish the cake, I cut the remaining peanut butter cups in half and pushed them into the icing around the outside edge and sprinkled the remaining of the pieces in the centre and that was it…. a very sweet but delicious cake for dessert!
Chocolate Peanut Butter Cup Cake
- 1 devils food cake mix
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 2 cups peanut butter
- 1 cup butter/margarine
- 4 cups icing sugar
- 6 tbsp. milk
- 20 peanut butter cups
- Bake cake according to package directions as 2 x 9″ round cakes.
- Place on package of peanut butter cups in the freezer.
- Cool completely, use a sharp knife to level off one of the layers.
- In bowl of stand mixer, combine peanut butter and butter/margarine until creamy.
- Add icing sugar and milk.
- Mix on low until fully combined.
- Continue mixing at medium speed until smooth and creamy.
- Ice bottom layer of cake.
- Chop frozen peanut butter cups into small pieces and sprinkle half on top of bottom iced layer.
- Place top cake layer over pieces and ice whole cake.
- Sprinkle remaining pieces in centre of cake.
- Cut remaining peanut butter cups in half and press into icing around outside edge.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.