As I mentioned in an earlier post, Kim and family were coming for the day and for dinner on Sunday and she requested burgers and corn for dinner. I was going to make plain old burgers but changed my mind and went with some taco burgers. I combined the flavour of taco meat with some red onion and Monterey jack cheese and then made a salsa and Greek yogurt sauce for them.
Here are the ingredients I used, plus hamburger buns of course!
I put the ground beef (I use medium ground beef for burgers so they don’t end up dry), red onion, taco seasoning, chili powder, cumin and 1 cup of the Monterey jack cheese in a large bowl.
Mixed it by fork and hand until it was very well combined.
I divided the beef mixture up into 12 somewhat even portions.
Used my little hamburger press to form each ball into a patty.
And froze the patties until it was time to cook them. I find they cook better and stay together much better if they’ve been frozen before cooking.
And then grilled them until desired doneness… in other words well done for us lol! I think we cooked them about 15 minutes or so per side.
While they were cooking I mixed together the sauce using salsa, Greek yogurt, chili powder and cumin.
When the burgers were cooked we sprinkled the second cup of Monterey jack cheese on them, spread some of the sauce on the buns and enjoyed our Taco Burgers with some salad, coleslaw and corn on the cob!
Taco Burgers with a Salsa and Greek Yogurt Sauce
Preparation Time: 15 minutes Grilling Time: 30 – 40 minutes Servings: 12 burgers
- 3 lbs. medium ground beef
- 1 package taco seasoning
- 3/4 cup chopped red onion
- 1 tbsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese, divided
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. cumin
- In a large bowl, combine ground beef, taco seasoning, red onion, 1 cup of Monterey jack cheese, chili powder and cumin and mix really well by fork and hand until well combined.
- Divide into 12 even portions and shape into patties. Freeze for at least an hour before cooking.
- BBQ over medium high heat for about 15 to 20 minutes per side until desired doneness.
- In a medium bowl, mix together salsa, Greek yogurt, chili powder and cumin to make sauce.
- When burgers are cooked sprinkle with remaining cheese, spread sauce on bun then add cooked burger patty.