When Chris and I were watching Amazing Race Canada the other night they were in P.E.I. One of the challenges was to unscramble the words of a menu. Salt & vinegar French fries was one of the scrambled words. The fries sounded interesting but I wondered what they would taste like as roasted potatoes… I have to say…. they were absolutely delicious!
I read different versions of the French fries recipe and came up with this recipe for roasted salt and vinegar potatoes!
I was surprised by how much the vinegar flavour came through after roasting the potatoes. They ended up being very flavourful with a crispy outside and soft inside… definitely one of those kitchen “experiments” I will be making over and over again!
These are the ingredients I used.
I washed and cubed the potatoes and put them in a large pot.
Added 1 1/2 cups of vinegar to the pot and then topped it off with water until the potatoes were fully covered and then boiled them for about 20 minutes.
After the 20 minutes I drained the potatoes and tossed the margarine and parsley flakes in with them, stirring until the margarine melted and the parsley was well dispersed.
I placed the potatoes into the prepared pan (I used an aluminum pan out of sheer laziness), and broiled them on high broil for about 25 minutes, taking them out of the oven to stir for even cooking about half way through.
I ended up with a pan of very flavourful Salt & Vinegar potatoes!
Salt & Vinegar Potatoes
Preparation Time: 30 minutes Broiling Time: 25 minutes Servings: 4 – 6
- 8 – 10 medium potatoes
- 1 1/2 cups vinegar
- water to fill pot
- 2 tsp. salt
- 3 tbsp. butter/margarine
- 2 tbsp. parsley flakes
- Grease 9 x 13 baking pan and set aside.
- Wash and cube potatoes and place in large pot.
- Pour vinegar into pot and fill pot with water until potatoes are fully covered.
- Bring to a boil and allow potatoes to boil for about 20 minutes.
- Drain and add margarine and parsley flakes, stirring until margarine is melted and parsley flakes are evenly coating potatoes.
- Broil on high broil until potatoes are all crispy and brown, stirring half way through for even cooking.
- Remove from heat and serve.