Saturday I went to town and got to enjoy the evening babysitting my granddaughter! But when I got home I had to get started on an order to make 8 dozen tarts to have ready for the coming weekend! 8 Dozen Tarts!!! I told them I would need to make them ahead and freeze them because there is no way I can make them all in one day right now. That wasn’t a problem… what was a problem was my non-cooperative brain! The first two batches of butter tarts I not only forgot to put an egg in the filling, I also decided to listen to Chris who said I should try to make the pastry thinner for a bigger ratio of filling to pastry. Needless to say I had to start over. The batch with no egg was a big runny mess of garbage and the batch with the thinner pastry shrunk to half size. Chris is enjoying the “rejects” as I dubbed them. Needless to say I have barely managed to get anything else done the past few days
I ended up having some pastry leftover so I thought I would make a galette with some frozen berries I hadn’t used yet. It is a nice, unstructured pie dessert that tastes delicious and is easy to make!
Here is what I used to make it.
I started by rolling the pastry out on a piece of parchment paper (it makes getting it to the pan easier than trying to move it on it’s own)….
Trimmed the edges to make it more circular, transferred it, with the parchment paper to the pizza pan I was using and set it aside until the filling was done.
To make the filling I just mixed the thawed berries, cornstarch, sugar and lemon juice together in a large bowl.
I poured the berry mixture into the centre of the pastry circle.
I folded in the edges all the way around.
Brushed the pastry with an egg wash and then sprinkled it with more sugar before dropping a few dabs of butter/ margarine on top of the filling.
Then baked it at 400 degrees for about 30 minutes, until the pastry had browned and it was cooked all the way through! And then we had a nice Mixed Berry Galette for dessert!
Mixed Berry Galette
Preparation Time: 20 minutes Baking Time: 30 minutes Servings: 8 – 12
- Pastry, enough to make single pie
- 1 bag frozen mixed berries
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 tbsp. corn starch
- 1 tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 egg, mixed with 1/3 cup water
- sugar for sprinkling
- 1 tbsp. butter/margarine
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Roll pastry out into a circle on a sheet of parchment paper.
- Trim edges to form a circle. Transfer to pizza pan.
- In a large bowl, combine thawed berries, sugar, corn starch and lemon juice. Mix until blended.
- Pour filling into centre of pastry circle.
- Fold in edges of pastry.
- Brush pastry with egg/water mixture and sprinkle with sugar.
- Drop a few dollops of butter/ margarine over top of filling.
- Bake at 400 degrees for about 30 minutes.
- Allow to cool, slice and serve.