With having those gigantic zucchini from my garden I was struggling with what I wanted to make with them. My mother-in-law suggested zucchini relish because she loves it…. so that’s what I made! When I grated those zucchini it was hard to believe that I ended up with 16 cups of zucchini!!! I only needed 12 cups for my recipe, so I am trying to decide now if I want to freeze what’s left over for another day or make something else.
In some places, zucchini relish is considered a “hot dog” relish. I’m not sure why but I just call mine by the very bland “Zucchini Relish.”
This is what I used to make it…. make sure you stop to admire my zucchini again lol!
I started by grating the zucchini…AFTER I had it all grated I realized I should have used the food processor instead of doing it by hand 😦 When it came time to do the onion and peppers, I was back on the ball!
I put the grated zucchini and chopped onion in a large bowl, sprinkled and mixed in the sea salt and let it sit in the fridge covered overnight.
In the morning I rinsed and squeezed the zucchini and onions to remove any excess water and set it aside.
I chopped the peppers and put them in my canning pot with the sugar, turmeric, nutmeg, pickling spice, corn starch and vinegar and stirred until it was blended.
Then mixed in the zucchini.
I brought the mixture to a full boil over medium high heat and then let it simmer on medium low heat for 30 minutes.
After that I filled my jars, wiped off the mouths of the jar and processed them in a hot water bath (making sure the lids were covered by at least 1 inch of water and the water returned to a boil once the jars were added), before removing them from the hot water bath and setting them out on the counter to cool.
And that’s it…yes, it technically took 2 days but it was mostly spent waiting. Here is my Zucchini Relish ready to put on the canning shelf in the basement until it’s time to fancy up the jars and assemble our Christmas Preserves Baskets!
Preparation Time: 30 minutes Sitting Time: Overnight Cooking Time: 45 minutes Processing Time: 30 minutes
- 12 cups grated zucchini
- 2 large red onions, chopped
- 5 tbsp. sea salt
- 2 peppers, chopped (I used one red, one orange)
- 1 tsp. nutmeg
- 1 tsp. turmeric
- 3 tbsp. pickling spice
- 2 tsp. corn starch
- 6 cups sugar
- 2 1/2 cups vinegar
- Grate zucchini, chop onion and place in large bowl.
- Sprinkle and mix in sea salt, cover and let stand in fridge overnight.
- Prepare jars and set aside.
- Rinse and squeeze water out of zucchini and onion. Set aside.
- Place chopped peppers, nutmeg, turmeric, pickling spice, sugar, corn starch and vinegar in large canning pot. Stir.
- Add zucchini and mix to combine.
- Bring mixture to a full boil over medium high heat.
- Let mixture simmer over medium low heat for 30 minutes.
- Remove from heat and ladle into prepared jars.
- Clean mouths of jars and add lids and rings.
- Process in a hot water bath for 30 minutes.
- Store in a dark cool place until ready to use.