I call them Cheater Calzones because I didn’t make the dough. I cheated and bought premade pizza dough to make these because it was a last minute decision to make them at the grocery store. I suppose they could also be called lazy ones because I just didn’t feel like making the pizza dough when I made them! I am not even sure this qualifies as a recipe, it’s more of an assembly thing than recipe but I am posting it anyways!!!
Dillon asked me what a calzone was… I told it’s pretty much just a pizza folded in half, sealed and cooked lol!
No matter that I took the lazy/cheater route, they were delicious and can be made with whatever fillings/toppings you like.
This is what I used to make them.
I used 2 tins of the premade pizza dough, cutting a piece off of each end of the dough to get a smaller 3rd calzone out of it.
I spread the sauce and then the toppings I wanted on each section.
Sprinkled the grated mozzarella and grated parmesan over the toppings.
Next I folded them in half, curling up the edges to keep the toppings/cheese and stuff inside. You can see where I got the sauce too close to the edges and it bled through to the outside but it doesn’t affect the flavour… just the appearance a bit lol.
I cut a couple of vents in the top so it didn’t burst or overflow….
And baked them at 400 degrees for about 20 minutes, until they were browned and fully cooked. I used a spatula to life the end up to make sure the bottom was browned and cooked as well.
And that’s it. I put them on plates and served them for a quick mock take out dinner!
Quick (Cheater) Calzones
Preparation Time: 15 minutes Baking Time: 20 minutes Servings: 3 – 4 (depending on whether you divide the dough into 3 or 4 portions
- 2 cans prepared pizza dough
- 2 cans pizza sauce
- pepperoni, mushrooms, peppers, any toppings you like
- 3 cups grated mozzarella
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Roll out pizza dough and cut into desired portions. I cut mine into 3 portions.
- Spread sauce and then toppings on dough.
- Sprinkle both cheeses over the toppings.
- Fold dough in half and roll up edges to seal.
- Cut slits in top of calzones for steam to escape.
- Bake at 400 degrees for about 20 minutes, until browned top and bottom and fully cooked.
- Transfer to plates and enjoy!