I completely forgot about dinner the other night. It was about 2 hours before and I still had no clue what I was going to make. I had a look in the freezer and on the pantry shelf and came out with ground beef, macaroni noodles and French onion soup mix and decided to combine them with some green onion, minced garlic, broth and grated parmesan for a casserole that had both Chris and Dillon cleaning their plates!
Here is what I started with… except for the olive oil that I precooked the green onion and garlic in.
I cooked the macaroni noodles according to the package directions and browned the ground beef.
I put the chopped green onion and the minced garlic in the frying pan with about 2 tbsp. of olive oil and cooked until the onions were starting to soften.
Next I added the broth to the pan with the onion and garlic, added the onion soup mix and let it simmer for about 5 minutes.
After simmering, I added about a tbsp. of flour and 2 tbsp. of milk to the pan and whisked until it started to thicken a bit.
Next I added the ground beef, 1 cup of the grated parmesan and onion mixture into the pot with the drained macaroni noodles and mixed until it was well combined.
I poured it into my greased roasting pan and sprinkled the remaining grated parmesan on top.
And then baked it at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes until it was heated through before serving.
French Onion Beef Casserole
Preparation Time: 25 minutes Cooking Time: 30 minutes Servings: 4 – 6
- 1 lb. lean ground beef
- 3 cups uncooked macaroni noodles
- 1 package onion soup mix
- 1 cup chopped green onion
- 3 tsp. minced garlic
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups broth
- 1 tbsp. flour
- 2 tbsp. milk or cream
- 1 1/2 cups grated parmesan
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease small roasting pan.
- Cook macaroni noodles according to package directions and drain.
- Brown ground beef until fully cooked and juices run clear and drain.
- Place chopped green onion and minced garlic in frying pan with olive oil and cook until onions start to soften.
- Add broth and onion soup mix and let simmer for 5 minutes.
- Whisk in flour and milk and continue to whisk until it starts to thicken.
- Add ground beef, onion mixture and 1 cup of grated parmesan to pot with drained macaroni noodles and stir until fully combined.
- Pour mixture into prepared roasting pan and top with remaining grated parmesan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!