After how good the Potato Soup turned out in my Instapot, I decided I wanted to try a different type of soup and it ended up being a tomato soup. And it was/is delicious! For whatever reason, I have been in a soup sort of mood so don’t be surprised if I end up posting more soup recipes made in the Instapot!
Here are my ingredients…. well, except for flour because I forgot and garlic because I decided last minute that it needed garlic…. all soup should have garlic just on principle!!!
To start, I set the Instapot to sauté, added some olive oil to the bottom of the pot and sautéed my carrots, onions and garlic for about 3 or 4 minutes.
I added the diced tomatoes, tomato paste, oregano, basil and stock and set the Instapot to pressure cook for 6 minutes.
I let it release steam for about 10 minutes before setting the sealing valve to release.
In a medium bowl I melted the butter/margarine in the microwave on high heat then added the flour. I whisked in the milk and microwaved it on high heat for about 4 minutes, stirring every minute, until thickened.
I added the butter/flour mixture to the pot along with the parmesan and put the Instapot back to sauté to heat through before serving.
Instapot Creamy Tomato Soup
Preparation Time: 10 minutes Cooking Time: 6 minutes + 10 minutes release time Servings: 4 – 6
- 1 can (large) diced tomatoes
- 3 tbsp. tomato paste
- 3 cups chicken stock/broth
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped green onion
- 1/2 cup grated carrot
- 3 tsp. minced garlic
- 1 tsp. oregano
- 1 tsp. basil
- 3 tsp. flour
- 3 tsp. butter/margarine
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 cup grated parmesan
- Set Instapot to Sauté, add carrots, onions and garlic with the olive oil and cook for about 3 minutes.
- Add diced tomatoes, tomato paste, broth, oregano and basil and set Instapot to Pressure Cook for 6 minutes.
- After the 6 minutes, allow the Instapot to naturally release steam for 10 minutes before manually releasing the remaining steam.
- In a medium bowl, melt butter/margarine and the mix in flour.
- Whisk milk into butter/ flour mixture and microwave on high heat for about 4 minutes, stirring every minute, until thickened.
- Add butter/flour mixture and parmesan to tomato mixture in Instapot and set to Sauté to heat through and melt parmesan.
- Serve with a pinch of grated cheese.