I am back, after a long weekend. We tried a new Chinese food restaurant on Friday night and have all been sick and suffering ever since. Not sure we will be going back there again!!!
Friday during the day… before the onslaught of Chinese food illness… I made a big batch of pickled beets. We all LOVE pickled beets and they make a great addition to our Christmas Preserves baskets! What possessed me to buy 12 lbs. of beets to pickle is beyond me 😦
NOTE: I double the recipe to use ALL 12 lbs. of the beets!
This is pretty much what I started with…. a lot more bags of beets but it covers the gist of it!
I washed and boiled all of the beets for about 30 minutes, until they were fork tender, leaving a little bit of the stem/stalk on them while boiling them.
Next I drained the beets, keeping about 2 1/2 cups of the juice from boiling, and then peeled and sliced them. Once the beets have been boiled, the skin almost falls off once you cut off the ends, making for fairly quick work of it.
I put the sliced beets in the jars, filling almost right to the top, and placed one or two whole cloves in each jar.
In a large pot, I added the reserved beet juice, vinegar, sugar and sea salt and brought the mixture to a full rolling boil over high heat.
I ladled the vinegar mixture into the jars of sliced beets to within 1/4 inch from the top and then placed the lids and rings, hand tight, on the jars.
I then processed the jars in boiling water for about 15 minutes before removing them to cool and listen for the “pops,” my favourite part of canning lol!
And that’s it. I ended up with 15 x 500 ml jars of beets to eat and gift!
Preparation Time: 1 1/2 hours Hot Water Bath: 15 minutes Servings: 6 – 8 jars
- 6 lbs. beets
- 1 1/4 cups water from boiling beets
- 2 cups vinegar
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- whole cloves
- Prepare jars and set aside.
- Wash and boil unpeeled beets for about 30 minutes, until fork tender.
- Peel and slice cooked beets.
- Place sliced beets in prepared jars.
- Add one or two whole cloves to jars of sliced beets.
- In large pot, add reserved beet water, vinegar, sea salt and sugar and bring to a full rolling boil.
- Pour vinegar mixture into jars with sliced beets.
- Place lids and rings on jars, hand tight.
- Process in hot water bath, maintaining a boil, for about 15 minutes.
- Remove from hot water bath and allow to cool before storing.
- If any jars do not seal properly, repeat hot water bath or store beets in fridge.
- Store in a dark cool place.