I was trying to decide what type of bread to make with dinner the other night. There are just so many kinds of homemade breads and rolls that sometimes it is difficult to actually decide which kind you want to make. I decided to whip up a batch of herb and garlic dinner rolls to have with our dinner, a very delicious favourite! My only issue was that by accident I bought regular yeast instead of the quick rising so they took a bit longer than I was planning… but well worth the wait!
Here are my ingredients…. hopefully all of the ingredients lol!
To begin, I poured the warmed milk and yeast in the bowl of my stand mixer and let it stand until the yeast had started to “bloom.” Because of the yeast issue, this took about 10-15 minutes instead of the normal 5 – 7 minutes.
Next I whisked in the butter/margarine, sugar, 2 eggs, salt, garlic powder, basil and Italian seasoning until well blended.
Then I added the flour, starting with 3 cups and then adding the remainder until it formed a smooth dough that pulled away from the sides but was still a little bit sticky to the touch, before kneading the dough for about 5 minutes.
I put it in a greased bowl and covered it for about 90 minutes until it had doubled in size.
I shaped the dough into balls to form the rolls and then covered this to let it rise for an additional 30 minutes.
I brushed the tops of the rolls with a beaten egg mixture before baking them at 350 degrees for about 25 – 30 minutes.
We got into them so fast I didn’t even get a “just from the oven” picture…. just a picture of what was left in the pan after we starting gorging ourselves on them lol!
Herb & Garlic Dinner Rolls
Preparation Time: 20 minutes Rising Time: 120 minutes Baking Time: 25 – 30 minutes Servings: 12 rolls
- 1 cup warmed milk (not hot)
- 3 tsp. yeast
- 1/2 cup butter/margarine, softened
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp. basil
- 4 cups flour
- 1 egg, for brushing tops of rolls
- Line 9 x 13 baking pan with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In bowl of stand mixer, whisk together warmed milk and yeast and allow to sit 5 – 15 minutes, until blossoming.
- Whisk in butter/margarine, sugar, eggs, salt, garlic powder, Italian seasoning and basil until well combined.
- Add 3 cups of flour to start, adding the remaining cup as needed to form a smooth, slightly sticky dough.
- Knead 5 minutes.
- Place dough in a greased bowl and allow to rise until doubled, about 90 minutes.
- Punch down dough and shape into balls to form dinner rolls and place in prepared baking pan.
- Cover and allow to rise for an additional 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Brush tops of rolls with beaten egg.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 25 – 30 minutes, until browned and cooked through.
- Separate and enjoy!