Phew! That title is sure a mouthful!!! Wednesday was the Maple Leafs first regular season hockey game. I always make Chris a special dinner and dessert for the occasion lol. This year I made this Pumpkin Jelly Roll cake and while he asked me what it had to do with the Leafs (nothing other than the association of fall meaning falling “Leafs” lol), it sure didn’t stop him from enjoying it!
Here are the ingredients I used to make this cake.
In the bowl of my stand mixer, I mixed together the eggs and sugar until it was well mixed.
I added the pumpkin and again made sure it was fully mixed.
Next I added the flour, baking powder, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon, salt and nutmeg and mixed until smooth.
I spread the batter over my lightly greased, parchment paper lined baking sheet.
I baked it for 15 minutes at 350 degrees, until fully baked, before liberally sprinkling the top with icing sugar.
I placed a clean tea towel over the cake and flipped the cake onto the tea towel, then sprinkling the other side with icing sugar as well.
I rolled the cake up in the tea towel and set it aside to let it fully cool.
Once fully cooked I started on the filling/icing for the cake.
I put the icing sugar, cream cheese, cinnamon and butter/margarine in the bowl of my stand mixer and mixed it until it was smooth and the right consistency.
I unrolled the cake and spread the icing, covering the whole “rectangle” of cake.
And then rolled it up “jelly roll style” starting with the short side. Don’t worry, some of the filling will likely come out the end when rolling. I found this unavoidable lol!
I placed some of the filling/icing into a sandwich bag, clipped off one corner and then drizzled it over the rolled cake before sprinkling it with a bit more icing sugar and it was done and ready for dessert!
Pumpkin Spice Jelly Roll Cake with Cinnamon Cream Cheese Filling
Preparation Time: 15 minutes Baking Time: 15 minutes Servings: 10 – 12
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup white sugar
- 3/4 cup pumpkin puree
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. ginger
- 1/2 tsp. nutmeg
- 2 cups icing sugar
- 1 package (8 0z.) cream cheese
- 2 tbsp. butter/margarine
- 1 tbsp. cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line baking sheet with parchment paper and give it a light spray with cooking spray.
- In bowl of stand mixer, mix eggs and sugar well.
- Add pumpkin and continue mixing until smooth.
- Add flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg and mix until smooth and well combined.
- Spread batter onto prepared cooking sheet evenly.
- Bake at 350 degrees until done.
- Sprinkle icing sugar over top of the cake and then lay a clean tea towel over top.
- Invert cake onto tea towel and sprinkle other side with icing sugar.
- Roll cake up, jelly roll style, in tea towel and set aside until fully cooled.
- To make the filling/icing, add icing sugar, cream cheese, butter/margarine and cinnamon to bowl of stand mixer.
- Beat until smooth and reaches desired consistency.
- Unroll cake and spread with prepared filling/icing, making sure to cover entire cake.
- Roll cake up, starting with the short side to form jelly roll.
- Spoon some of the filling/icing into a sandwich bag, cut off a corner and drizzle over top of the cake.
- Sprinkled with more icing sugar and store in fridge or freezer until ready to eat.