A few Christmases ago we were gifted some preserves from a neighbor and one of the jars contained some Cauliflower relish. Chris went nuts for it so I had to ask the neighbor for their recipe. I substituted the all green peppers in the recipe and added some red peppers for a bit more colour and prepared 7 jars (I don’t know how I keep ending up with odd numbers lol) to put away for our Christmas Preserves Baskets!
While technically it took 2 days to make this relish, the majority of the time was spent waiting while the vegetables sat in the fridge over night lol!
Here is what I used to make it.
I got everything chopped the night before I wanted to make the relish. Most of the vegetables…. the peppers, onions and cucumbers I put through the chopper but the cauliflower I chopped by hand.
I put it all in a large bowl, mixed in the sea salt, covered it with plastic wrap and put it in the fridge to chill overnight.
In the morning I poured the chilled vegetables into my big canning pot and then added the turmeric, sugar, vinegar, pickling salt, flour and mixed it up.
I brought the mixture to a full boil and then let it simmer for 30 minutes.
I then ladled it into my prepared jars, wiped down the lips of the jar and put the lids and rings on.
I processed the jars in a hot water bath for 15 minutes once it returned to a full boil…..
Then removed the jars to the counter to fully cool before putting them away on the canning shelf ready for our Christmas baskets!
Cauliflower Relish – Canning
Preparation Time: 20 minutes Chilling Time: Overnight Cooking Time: 30 minutes Processing Time: 15 minutes
- 2 heads cauliflower
- 2 red peppers
- 2 green peppers
- 2 onions
- 3 large cucumbers
- 1/4 cup sea salt
- 1/2 cup flour
- 2 tbsp. turmeric
- 4 cups white sugar
- 2 tbsp. pickling spice
- 4 cups white vinegar
- Prepare jars and set aside.
- Finely chop all vegetables.
- Place chopped vegetables in a large bowl and add in sea salt.
- Mix to fully combine, cover with plastic wrap and chill in fridge overnight.
- Add chilled vegetables to large canning pot.
- Add flour, turmeric, sugar, pickling spice and vinegar and mix well.
- Bring to a boil over high heat, reduce heat to medium/medium high and allow to simmer for 30 minutes.
- Ladle into prepared jars.
- Wipe down lips of jars, put on lids and rings.
- Process in hot water bath for 15 minutes.
- Remove from water, allow to cool and store in a cool dark place until ready to use.