I have to admit, I wasn’t sure what the reception would be from Chris and Dillon when I decided to try making these. They are really big on what Chris calls “Big Breakfast” on the weekends. I decided to try it anyway…. and they liked it enough that having made them for Saturday morning, Chris asked if I was going to warm up the rest of them for Sunday breakfast lol!
Here is what I started with. Note: To make breakfast preparation faster on Saturday morning…. on Friday I precooked the sausage meat and chopped the onion and pepper ahead of time.
I put the chopped onion in the frying pan with a little bit of olive oil and cooked it until they were starting to soften.
I added the precooked sausage meat and onion powder to the pan and cooked it over medium high heat until the sausage meat was heated through.
I whisked the eggs in a large measuring cup with the salt and pepper and poured the mixture into the pan with the sausage and onion.
And cooked the eggs, making sure to keep scraping the bottom of the pan as I went, until the eggs were fully cooked.
I placed my taco bowls on a parchment paper lined baking sheet and sprinkled about 1 tbsp. of grated cheese into the bottom of each bowl.
I divided the egg mixture between the bowls….
Sprinkled another tbsp. or two on top of the eggs, followed by the chopped pepper and then the rest of the cheese.
I baked them at 375 degrees for about 20 minutes until fully heated through and the edges of the taco bowls were starting to brown.
They ate 2 each on Saturday and again on Sunday, finishing them off. I put them in a large freezer bag Saturday and reheated them at 350 degrees for about 10 – 15 minutes until heated through. I think these would also freeze very well for an even quicker weekend (or weekday) breakfast!
Sausage & Egg Taco Breakfast Bowls
Preparation Time: 20 minutes Cooking Time: 20 minutes Servings: 2 – 4
- 1 lb. ground sausage meat
- 1 small onion
- 1 tsp. onion salt
- salt and pepper to taste
- 8 eggs
- 1/2 cup chopped red pepper
- 1 1/2 cups grated cheese
- 1 package (8) taco bowls
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Brown sausage meat in frying pan or microwave until fully cooked.
- Place chopped onion in frying pan with a little bit of olive oil and cook until starting to soften.
- Add sausage meat and onion salt and over medium high heat, cook until heated through.
- Whisk eggs together with salt and pepper and pour into pan with sausage and onion.
- Cook, scraping the bottom often, until eggs are fully cooked. Remove from heat.
- Place taco bowls on prepared baking sheet and sprinkle about 1 tbsp. grated cheese in bottom of each bowl.
- Divide sausage/egg mixture between bowls.
- Sprinkle another tbsp. of cheese on top.
- Divide chopped peppers between bowls and top with remaining cheese.
- Bake at 375 degrees for about 20 minutes, until heated through and taco bowls are starting to brown.
- Serve and enjoy.