I ended up with a whole big bowl of green tomatoes in my garden that I knew with the cold weather fast approaching were not going to ripen. I didn’t want to just toss them over the fence for the cows, that seemed a waste of the fact I was actually able to grow vegetables this year. I decided to try an old recipe I had for a Green Tomato Relish.
The smell of relish cooking is delicious…. it could taste awful but it sure makes the house smell nice. I only ended up getting 5 jars of this relish but it is still better than having wasted them!
Here is the final “harvest” from my gardens…. you can see how many tomatoes I still had that had yet to ripen… as well as another rather large zucchini and a couple small butternut squash. I don’t think I did that bad this year!
And this is what I started with to make the relish.
I chopped all the vegetables in the food processor and added them to a large bowl with 3 tbsp. of sea salt and then let the mixture sit, sit covered, in the fridge overnight.
In the morning I poured the vegetable mixture into a strainer and let it drain in the sink while I went on to the next step.
I poured the vinegar, sugar, turmeric, mustard seeds, mustard powder and ginger into a large pot and let it come to a boil over high heat. I reduced the heat to medium high and let the mixture simmer for 10 minutes.
Next I added the drained vegetables and brought it back to a boil and then allowed the relish to simmer for another 10 minutes.
After the 10 minutes, I ladled the relish carefully into my prepared jars…. wiped the tops and sides down where the lids/rings go and then attached the lids and rings to the jars.
I processed the relish in a hot water bath for 10 minutes and I now have 5 jars of a delicious smelling/tasting Green Tomato Relish, ready for gifting in our Christmas Preserves Baskets this year!
Green Tomato Relish
Preparation Time: 30 minutes + overnight soaking Cooking Time: 20 minutes Servings: 5 – 500 ml jars
- 12 cups chopped green tomatoes
- 5 small onions
- 3 peppers, I used one red, one orange and one yellow to add colour
- 3 tbsp. sea salt
- 3 cups sugar
- 2 3/4 cups white vinegar
- 2 tbsp. mustard seeds
- 2 tbsp. mustard powder
- 1 tsp. turmeric
- 1 tsp. ground ginger
- Prepare jars and set aside.
- Finely chop vegetables.
- Stir in sea salt, cover and let sit in fridge overnight.
- In the morning, drain the vegetables well.
- In a large pot add vinegar, sugar, mustard seeds, mustard powder, turmeric and ground ginger and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium high and allow to simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add drained vegetables and bring mixture back to a boil.
- Allow relish to simmer over medium high heat for another 10 minutes.
- Ladle into prepared jars.
- Wipe tops and threads on jars.
- Attach lids and rings to the jars, hand tight.
- Process jars in hot water bath for 10 minutes.
- Store in a cool, dark place until ready to use.