I have to admit…. these are spicy. Chris told me his nose was starting to run when he was eating them lol… but it didn’t stop him, or Dillon for that matter, from eating them!
Stuffed meatballs are quick and easy to make, freeze well (without the sauce) and make a great dinner.
We actually had a few left… believe it or not with “the boys” appetites… and when I made Chili for dinner a few nights later, Dillon suggested I chop the leftovers up and throw them in with the chili to use them up. They added a little more beef to the chili and a little bit more bite to the chili. It was a very good suggestion on his part!
Here is what I used to make the meatballs.
To start I added the ground beef, egg, pepper, panko, hot sauce and Worcestershire sauce in a large bowl and mixed (by fork and by hand) until it was really well combined.
I divided the mixture into 12 balls and started to each ball around one of the chunks of cheese.
I sort of flattened out the balls and made what looks like a nest, placed one cube of cheese in the centre of the “nest,” and rolled the meat mixture around the cheese to form the stuffed meatball.
I repeated this process until all 12 balls of meat had been stuffed and placed them in a lightly greased baking pan.
I cooked the meatballs in the oven at 375 degrees for about 35 minutes, until cooked through and browned.
While the meatballs were cooking I added the second amount of hot sauce, bbq sauce and chopped green onions into a large microwave safe measuring cup, mixed it well and microwaved it on high for about 3 minutes until thickened and heated through.
To serve, I placed the meatballs on the plates and poured the sauce generously over top! I served them with some boiled potatoes cooked in chicken broth and garlic and some veggies!
Cheese Stuffed Spicy Meatballs
Preparation Time: 20 minutes Cooking Time: 35 – 45 minutes Servings: 3 – 4
- 1 lb. lean ground beef
- 1 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp. hot sauce
- 1/2 cup panko crumbs
- pepper to taste
- 1 egg
- 1 cup BBQ sauce
- 3/4 cup hot sauce
- 1/2 cup chopped green onion
- 12 – 1″ cubes cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Lightly grease baking pan.
- In a large bowl, combine ground beef, Worcestershire sauce, 1 tbsp. hot sauce, panko, pepper and egg and mix, by fork and hand, until very well combined.
- Shape meat mixture into 12 balls.
- Flatten each ball into a nest shape and place cheese in centre.
- Roll meat mixture around cheese cubes to form meatballs.
- Cook at 375 degrees for about 35 minutes, until browned and cooked through.
- To make sauce: In a large measuring cup whisk together hot sauce, BBQ sauce and chopped green onions.
- Microwave sauce, on high heat, for about 3 minutes until heated through.
- To serve, place meatballs on plate and pour a generous amount of sauce over meatballs.