Stenciled Kitchen Backsplash

I’m not sure if anyone remembers my original kitchen backsplash post.  I bought a peel and stick wallpaper that looked like bricks.  It looked great for a little while and then it started to come off.  I used a staple gun in hidden spots to hold it on.

It definitely needed updating and I did that last week.  It took most of the week because of how I decided to do it, but the end result with a few new touches in the way of a new curtain topper, new tea towels and a different rug, the kitchen is sporting a fresh new look!

20181106_062254274893655919643950.jpg

Sandie

After a while I just got sick and tired of looking at the peeling mess and decided it needed an update.  Look how terrible the brick paper looked once it started to peel off!

20181028_1149145232430149386400567.jpg

I peeled off all of the peel and stick wallpaper.  It literally came off in full sheets.  That was the fast and easy part, although it was a bit painful considering how much work I put in it to start lol.

20181028_1212395619001022053889454.jpg

In the places it actually stuck, it removed some of the paint with the paper.  Not a big deal.

My next step was to remove the transition pieces from each panel to the next.  They were just going to be in the way and not look how I wanted it in the end.  It made for a lot of extra work but I think it ended up worth it.

I used spackling and a few days of sanding to fill in the spaces from the transition pieces and a quick swipe where the wallpaper removed some of the paint to give myself  fairly smooth surface. (I am not a professional “mudder” by any stretch of the word.

Next it was time to start painting the white that I wanted as my background colour.  It took about 3 coats to fully cover the existing green paint…. you can probably see why I wanted it covered in the first place lol!

Now came the fun part…. or at least when I thought would be the fun part.  It ended up being almost 7 hours of gymnastic worthy positions to get the stencil into the right places lol.

Here is the first stencil I applied….

20181101_0836463489285376290372147.jpg

The beginning of the first row…..

20181101_0910107832286224605376752.jpg

And finally fully stenciled.

Once I got it all stenciled, I realized that one of the partial stencil areas had been done upside down!!!! This meant I had to paint over where I laid these stencils and redo that section but again this proved well worth the effort…. at least after it was all done anyway.

Once the stenciling was done, I brushed on a coat of varethane so that the backsplash could be wiped down when needed without worrying about the stencil coming off!

20181101_1419505954522104899633722.jpg

I rehung the curtain rods and all the baskets where they used to be (dejunking them as I went) and then added a nice new curtain topper, some new lighter coloured tea towels and a different rug and it was done!

And here is the kitchen backsplash fully completed….. AGAIN!

20181106_062254274893655919643950.jpg

 

Advertisements

6 thoughts on “Stenciled Kitchen Backsplash

Please Leave a Reply, we would love to hear from you!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.