The smell wafting out of my frying pan/oven the other night was almost enough for me to take the plunge and have some of the chicken I was making for “the boys” for dinner the other night! I made them a delicious smelling (and tasting according to them) lemon garlic chicken! I served it over fettuccine noodles tossed with butter, garlic and parmesan and served it up with some bread and they had an awesome dinner…. and I had enough leftover for another night’s dinner! Woo hoo! Another “I don’t feel like cooking” meal in the freezer!
This is what I used to make this dish.
To begin, I sprinkled the chicken breasts with salt and pepper and put them in my frying pan with the olive oil, browning each side over medium high heat.
When both sides were browned, I removed them from the pan and put them in the oven to keep warm while I made the sauce.
To make the sauce, I tossed my chopped green onion and minced garlic in the pan I used for the chicken and cooked them on their own for about 2 minutes.
In a large measuring cup, I mixed together the chicken broth, lemon juice and cayenne….
And added it to the pan with the onions and garlic, bringing it to a boil over medium high heat before lowering the heat and allowing it to simmer for about 10 minutes, reducing the mixture.
Once reduced I added the butter/margarine, stirring it until it melted and then added the milk to finish off the sauce.
I poured the sauce over the chicken breasts in the prepared baking pan, topped it with the lemon slices and sprinkled the parsley over top….
And put it back in a 350 degree oven for about 15 minutes before serving to ensure the chicken breasts were cooked through.
And served it over fettuccine noodles tossed in butter, garlic and parmesan cheese!
Lemon Garlic Chicken Breasts
Preparation Time: 20 minutes (including browning the chicken) Cooking Time: 15 minutes Servings: 2 – 4
- 4-6 chicken breasts
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup chicken broth
- juice from 1 lemon
- 3 tsp. minced garlic
- 1 tsp. cayenne
- 1 tbsp.olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped green onion
- 2 tbsp. butter/margarine
- 3 tbsp. milk
- 2 tsp. parsley
- lemon slices for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line baking pan with aluminum foil and spray lightly with cooking spray.
- Sprinkle chicken breasts with salt and pepper.
- Pour olive oil into frying pan and brown chicken breasts, both sides, over medium high heat.
- Once browned, remove chicken breasts to prepared baking pan.
- To make sauce, add chopped onion and minced garlic to same frying pan and sauté for about 2 minutes.
- In a large measuring cup, whisk together chicken broth, lemon juice and cayenne and pour into pan with onion and garlic.
- Bring to a boil over medium high heat, then lower temperature and allow to simmer for about 10 minutes to reduce.
- Add butter/margarine, stirring until melted.
- Add milk and stir to combine.
- Pour sauce over chicken breasts, place lemon slice on each chicken breast and sprinkle with parsley.
- Place in preheated oven for about 15 minutes before serving to ensure chicken is cooked through.
- Serve over thick noodles or rice.