I know it’s kind of early for anything gingerbread, but I just couldn’t help myself lol! I saw a recipe online and “doctored it up” to work with what I had on hand.
Chris said it sort of reminded him of Christmas pudding and he loved it! And I have to say the smell of it baking was almost sinful and definitely reminiscent of the upcoming holiday season!
Here are my ingredients.
In a medium sized roast pan I combined the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and ginger and whisked it to combine.
In a large measuring cup, I whisked together the applesauce, milk, oil, molasses, and vanilla until blended.
I poured this mixture in the roast pan with the flour mixture, whisking to form a smooth batter.
I sprinkled the brown sugar, white sugar and cinnamon on top of the batter.
Then whisked together the apple juice and water before pouring it over top of the whole thing.
I baked it at 350 degrees, uncovered, for about 45 minutes, until it was cooked through to the middle.
Then scooped it out into bowls, making sure to add a little bit of the delicious caramel apple sauce from the bottom to the bowls!
Gingerbread Pudding Cake
Preparation Time: 15 minutes Baking Time: 45 minutes Servings: 4 – 6
- 1 1/4 cups flour
- 2 tsp, baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 1/2 tsp. ginger
- 1/3 cup molasses
- 1/3 cup applesauce
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 cup apple juice
- 1/2 cup water
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In medium roast pan, whisk together flour, baking powder, salt, sugar, cinnamon and ginger.
- In large measuring cup, whisk together the molasses, applesauce, vegetable oil and milk.
- Pour molasses mixture into pan with flour mixture, whisk to make a smooth batter.
- Sprinkle the second amount of white sugar, brown sugar and cinnamon over top of batter evenly.
- In large measuring cup, whisk together apple juice and water and pour over entire thing.
- Bake uncovered, at 350 degrees, for about 45 minutes until done all the way to the middle.
- Serve warm with added sauce from bottom of pan on cake, and topped with vanilla ice cream (optional).