I can’t remember the last time I made lemon squares, but they just seemed like such a good idea to make on Sunday when I had the itch to bake! I made Lemon Bars, Chocolate Chip Cookies and Banana Bread for lunch snacks.
The lemon bars are like having a bite or two of lemon meringue pie but these are bite size, okay, maybe two bites, making them perfect to put in lunch boxes as a snack or just a quick delicious lemon snack break with coffee!
These would also make brightly coloured and delicious addition to any Christmas dessert tray!
Here are my ingredients.
I started by mixing together the flour, sugar and butter/margarine in the bowl of my stand mixer until it started to stick together, almost into a ball.
I pressed the mixture into a parchment paper lined baking pan (9 x 9) and baked it at 350 degrees for about 20 minutes.
While it was baking, I put the eggs, lemon zest, lemon juice and flour in the bowl of my stand mixer and mixing it until the sugar was fully incorporated and then let it stand for about 15 minutes.
When the base was done baking, I gave the filling a quick burst with the stand mixer and then poured it over top of the base.
I returned it to a 350 degree oven and let it bake for an additional 30 minutes, until it was fully set in the middle and then sprinkled it with icing sugar (optional).
I let it fully cool before I cut it into squares….
And then arranged them on a plate for snacks and lunch box treats!
Preparation Time: 20 minutes Baking Time: 50 minutes Servings: 16 squares
- 3/4 cup cold butter , cut in small pieces
- 6 tbsp. sugar
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup flour
- 4 eggs
- 3/4 cup of lemon juice
- 2 tbsp. lemon zest
- 2 tbsp. icing sugar, optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line 9 x 9 baking pan with parchment paper.
- In bowl of stand mixer, blend together cold butter/margarine, first amount of sugar and 1 1/2 cups flour, until it starts to stick together, almost forming a ball.
- Press mixture into prepared baking pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.
- For filling, in the bowl of the stand mixer, whisk together the second amount of sugar, 1/4 cup flour, eggs, lemon juice and lemon zest until sugar is fully incorporated.
- Let stand about 15 minutes.
- When base is done baking, pour lemon mixture over top and return to 350 degree oven for an additional 30 minutes, or until the middle is fully set.
- Optional: sprinkle top with icing sugar.
- Allow to fully cool before slicing into squares.