When we did groceries on Saturday (we put it off a day because of a flipping snowstorm!), I found extra lean ground beef on sale and ended up buying about 10 lbs. of it lol. There are so many different ways to prepare meals using ground beef I just couldn’t help myself! I separated it all and left about a pound and a half out to make dinner on Sunday. Sunday’s dinner ended up being some very flavourful French Onion Meatballs that I served with Microwave mashed potatoes and veggies and everyone’s plates were cleaned!
Because I was only feeding the meatballs to Chris and Dillon, I was able to freeze a pan of it to freeze for another meal! I was just saying to Chris last night that I am getting far enough ahead with my Freezer Meals that I could probably go a full two weeks without cooking if I wanted now! How awesome is that lol?
Here are my ingredients, although I didn’t notice when I took the pictures but some of the ingredients were hidden behind the bowl with the ground beef lol!
In a large bowl, I placed the slice of bread and poured the milk over it. I let it stand a few minutes to absorb into and soften the bread before adding the bread crumbs, grated cheese, egg and parsley… stirring until well blended.
I added the ground beef and mixed them together by fork and by hand until well combined before shaping the mixture into about 1″ meatballs, placing them in the pan as I went. (I used aluminum pans again so I wouldn’t have to clean up a big mess and so I could freeze half the recipe)
I started cooking the meatballs at 375 for about 30 minutes, shaking the pan part way through to ensure even cooking.
While the meatballs were cooking I sliced the onions and placed them in a frying pan with the butter/ margarine, first amount of beef broth, salt and pepper and thyme, cooking them over medium high heat until nicely browned and starting to caramelize.
In a large measuring cup I whisked together the second amount of beef broth, water, onion soup mix and flour. I microwaved it on high heat for about 5 minutes, until it started to thicken.
After the 30 minutes, I spooned the caramelized onions over top of the meatballs, followed by the beef broth mixture.
I sprinkled the grated cheese on top of the meatballs in both pans.
And then returned them to the oven, still at 375 degrees for about 10 minutes, before switching the oven to broil for about 5 minutes to brown the cheese on top before serving.
Then served them with Mashed potatoes and veggies for a delicious Sunday meal!
French Onion Meatballs
Preparation Time: 25 minutes Cooking Time: 45 minutes Servings: 4 – 6
- 1 1/2 lbs. extra lean ground beef
- 1 slice white bread
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 3/4 cup grated mozzarella
- 1 tbsp. parsley
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 egg
- 2 medium onions
- 1/2 tsp. thyme
- 3 tbsp. butter/margarine
- 1/4 cup beef broth
- 1 package onion soup mix
- 1 1/3 cups beef broth
- 1 cup water
- 3 tbsp. flour
- 2 cups grated mozzarella
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In large bowl, place slice of bread in bottom and pour milk over top. Allow to stand a few minutes for bread to absorb milk and soften.
- Add grated cheese, bread crumbs, egg and parsley, mixing by fork and by hand until well combined.
- Shape meat mixture into 1″ meatballs and place in pan(s).
- Cook meatballs for about 30 minutes at 375 degrees.
- Slice onions and place them in a frying pan with butter/ margarine, thyme and beef broth.
- Cook onions on medium high heat for about 15 minutes, until nicely browned and starting to caramelize.
- In large measuring cup, whisk together beef broth, water, onion soup mix and flour until smooth.
- Microwave broth mixture on high heat for about 5 minutes, until it starts to thicken.
- Remove meatballs from oven an spoon onions over top.
- Pour broth mixture over meatballs and onions and then sprinkle grated cheese over them.
- Bake an additional 10 minutes at 375 degrees.
- Switch oven to broil for about 5 minutes, until cheese starts to brown.
- Serve immediately.