It’s been a while since I’ve posted a bread recipe. When I make bread now I really wonder why I was so scared of yeast and making bread for so long. I suppose getting a Kitchenaid mixer for Christmas a few years ago might have something to do with it but even so, when something went in my mixer, I still did make some loaves of bread…. by hand!!!
This is an easy recipe to make a delicious loaf of Italian Bread!
Here are my ingredients.
I put the warm water and yeast in the bowl of my stand mixer and whisked it together.
The added the flour, salt, sugar, and butter/margarine….
Using my bread attachment, I mixed it until a nice smooth ball of dough formed, pulling away from the edges and incorporating all of the flour. You can add a bit of flour as you mix if the dough is too sticky.
I let the dough knead on a slow speed in the stand mixer for about 7 minutes before letting it rest for 5 minutes.
I shaped it into a nice ball, placed it into a greased bowl, turning once to make sure both top and bottom were greased and then coverd it and let it rise for about 2 hours.
After two hours, I punched the dough down and then shaped it into a ball on a sheet of parchment paper and let it rise for another 45 minutes.
Once risen I cut an “X” in the top of the dough.
While it was rising, I preheated the oven to 425 degrees, then 10 minutes before I put the bread in to bake I placed a cookie sheet in the oven, upside down and placed a smaller pan in the bottom of the oven with about a cup of water to create a bit of steam while the bread was baking.
I placed the loaf, still on the parchment paper, onto the upside down baking sheet and let it bake for about 25 minutes, until browned and cooked all the way through. You can tap the bottom of the loaf for doneness…. it almost sounds hollow.
The sliced it into nice thick slices to have with the Baked Macaroni I made for dinner!
Easy to Make Italian Bread
Preparation Time: 20 minutes Rising Time: 2 hours 45 minutes Baking Time: 25 minutes Servings: 1 loaf
- 1 1/2 tsp. dry yeast
- 1 3/4 cups warm water
- 4 cups all-purpose flour divided
- 1 tsp. butter/margarine
- 1 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 1 cup of hot water (to place in oven while baking)
- In bowl of stand mixer, whisk together warm water and yeast.
- Add flour, salt, sugar and butter/margarine and mix to form a smooth dough, using dough hook for mixer.
- Knead dough on low speed for about 7 minutes.
- Let dough rest for 5 minutes.
- Place dough in greased bowl, turning once to evenly coat dough ball.
- Cover and let rise in a warm place for about 2 hours, until doubled in size.
- Punch dough down after 2 hours.
- Shape into a ball on a sheet of parchment paper (You many need to flour your hands and surface to prevent dough from sticking to you)
- Allow dough to rise for an additional 45 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Once oven reaches temperature, place baking pan upside down on middle rack and a smaller pan with the cup of hot water in the bottom of the pan and allow to preheat for 10 minutes.
- Cut an “X” in the top of the dough ball and place it, still on the parchment paper, on the preheated baking pan.
- Bake at 425 degrees for about 25 minutes until the bread has browned and cooked all the way through.
- Remove from oven and cut into nice thick slices and enjoy!