I was getting ready to make a batch of chocolate chip cookies when I remembered I had some caramels in the cupboard that I should use up. I used some of them last week when I made my Caramel Magic Bars and still had some leftover. And being in a somewhat lazy mood, I didn’t feel like actually going through the motions of making individual cookies so I baked these in a 9 x 13 baking pan and then cut them into squares to add to lunch boxes this week!
These are the ingredients I used to make the squares.
To start, I unwrapped all of the caramels, cut them into smaller pieces and then added them to a sandwich bag with about a tsp. of flour so the pieces didn’t just stick together in one big lump.
In the bowl of my stand mixer, I creamed together the brown sugar and butter/margarine.
I added the eggs and vanilla and mixed until smooth.
Then I added the flour, salt, baking soda, chocolate chips and caramel pieces.
Then I mixed it until everything was fully incorporated and spread it evenly into a parchment paper lined 9 x 13 baking pan.
And baked it at 350 degrees for about 25 minutes, until it was fully browned and was cooked all the way through to the middle.
I allowed it to fully cool and then cut it into squares to add to Chris and Dillon’s lunch cans for a nice lunch time snack.
Caramel Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars
Preparation Time: 15 minutes Baking Time: 25 minutes Servings: 24 squares
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 1 cup butter/margarine
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 3 cups flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 cups chocolate chips
- 16 caramels, wrapped and cut into smaller pieces
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line 9 x 13 baking pan with parchment paper.
- Unwrap caramels, cut into smaller pieces and place in sandwich bag with 1 tsp. of the flour.
- In bowl of stand mixer, cream together butter/margarine and brown sugar.
- Add eggs and vanilla and mix until smooth.
- Add flour, baking soda, salt, chocolate chips and caramel pieces.
- Mix until fully incorporated.
- Spread evenly into prepared baking pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 25 minutes, until fully browned and cooked through to centre.
- Allow to fully cool before cutting into squares.
- Store tightly covered or in an air tight container.