I decided to try something different the other day when I was making dinner. I have had clippings for Korean Meatballs and Korean BBQ sauce for ages and until that day didn’t think of combining the two. I know…. duh, right? Well, I finally did it and it even passed Chris’ Chocolate milk test lol…. he totally cleaned his plate before even giving the chocolate milk a glance. Dillon did an equally good job of cleaning his plate so I would have to say the combination was a hit!
These meatballs had just enough spiciness and sweetness to make them a new favourite!
These are the ingredients I used, except for flour. I used the flour to thicken the bbq sauce but you can use it or corn starch…. I was just out of corn starch.
For the meatballs themselves, I put the ground chicken, panko, chili paste, ground ginger, egg and minced garlic in a large bowl, mixed it all together and let it sit for about 5 minutes to allow everything to meld together.
I then took tablespoonfuls of the meat mixture and rolled into about 1 inch meatballs and placed them in my aluminum foil lined baking pan.
I cooked the meatballs in the oven at 375 degrees for about 30 minutes or so, until they were cooked through and browned on the outside.
While the meatballs were cooking, I made the BBQ sauce.
I poured the soya sauce, rice vinegar, minced garlic, ground ginger, brown sugar, sesame oil in a large measuring cup and whisked to combine. In a small bowl I whisked together the flour and water to make a paste and added that to the mixture.
I cooked this on high heat in the microwave for about 2 – 3 minutes until it was thickened and poured it over the meatballs on the plates before serving.
Chicken Meatballs in Korean BBQ Sauce
Preparation Time: 10 minutes Cooking Time: 30 minutes Servings: 3 – 4
- 1 lb. ground chicken
- 1/2 cup panko
- 2 tsp. minced garlic
- 1 tsp. chili paste
- 1 tsp. sesame oil
- 1/2 cup soya sauce
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 tsp. minced garlic
- 1 tbsp. rice vinegar
- 2 tsp. chili paste
- 1/2 tsp. ground ginger
- 2 tbsp. flour
- 3 tbsp. water
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line baking pan with aluminum foil and lightly grease.
- In large bowl, combine ground chicken, panko, minced garlic, chili paste and sesame oil until well mixed. Allow to stand 5 minutes.
- Shape meat mixture into meatballs and place in prepared baking pan.
- Cook meatballs at 375 for about 30 minutes, until fully cooked and browned on the outside.
- While meatballs are cooking prepare the BBQ sauce by pouring the soya sauce, brown sugar, minced garlic, rice vinegar, chili paste and ground ginger into a large measuring cup and whisk to combine.
- In a small bowl, whisk together water and flour to form a paste.
- Add paste to sauce ingredients, whisk to combine and microwave on high heat for about 2 – 3 minutes until thickened.
- Remove cooked meatballs from oven and pour sauce over to serve.