For Sunday dinner I made a nice Herb & Garlic Pork Tenderloin and had to decide what I wanted to make to have with it alongside the requisite vegetable. I knew I wanted to make some sort of potato side dish but I couldn’t decide on what. I thought about scalloped potatoes, I thought about mashed potatoes but I wanted to do something different. I ended up making these potato “stacks,” loosely based on different versions I saw online. Because the potatoes are sliced so thin they cook relatively fast and you end up with a garlicky, cheesy stack of delicious potatoes that look way fancier than how easy they are to make.
I hope you enjoy the recipe!
These are the ingredients I used when making them.
I greased a large cup muffin tin with cooking spray and then started slicing the potatoes very thin (if you have a mandolin slicer they will be more uniform and probably thinner than mine because I cut mine by hand), and placing them in the greased muffin tin cups to the half way point.
In a small, microwave safe bowl, I added the milk, margarine, minced garlic, thyme and pepper and cooked it over high heat for about 90 seconds, until the margarine melted.
I whisked it to fully combine the ingredients and poured half of it over the potatoes, divided evenly.
Next came a generous sprinkle of grated cheese….
Before repeating the process so the potatoes came to the top of the edges of the muffin tin.
I covered the pan with aluminum foil at cooked them at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes.
After 30 minutes, I removed the foil and set the oven to low broil, returned the potatoes to the oven for about 4 or 5 minutes until the cheese was nicely browned.
I let them sit for about 5 minutes before removing them from the pan with a big spoon and serving them, in their stack form. These too were a really big hit!
Garlic & Cheese Potato “Stacks”
Preparation Time: 15 minutes Cooking Time: 40 – 45 minutes Servings: 6 “Stacks”
- 4 – 5 medium potatoes
- 1/2 cup milk
- 3 tsp. minced garlic
- 2 tbsp. butter/margarine
- 1 tsp. thyme
- pepper to taste
- 1 cup grated cheese (I used mozzarella)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease muffin tin cups with cooking spray.
- Wash and slice potatoes very thing, leaving the skin on for added flavour.
- Place sliced potatoes to the half way point in each muffin tin cup.
- In a small bowl add milk, butter/ margarine, minced garlic, thyme and pepper.
- Cook in microwave over high heat for about 60 – 90 seconds, until butter/ margarine melts.
- Whisk milk mixture to fully combine.
- Pour half of the milk mixture over the potatoes, divided evenly.
- Generously sprinkle half of the grated cheese evenly between the muffin tin cups.
- Repeat the process ending with the cheese layer.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes.
- Remove foil and set oven to low broil. Cook an additional 5 – 10 minutes, until cheese is nicely browned on top.
- Allow to stand 5 minutes before serving.