Here is a nice Christmas treat and very festive with it’s bright red colouring, that I made the other day for our Christmas Preserves Baskets. For the life of my I couldn’t find my candy thermometer so I had to make it the old fashioned way…. testing the syrup in cold water to determine whether it was done or not. Thankfully it turned out just fine but I still wonder about my candy thermometer…. maybe Dillon stole it lol. A funny story… when Dillon was little I can remember him trying to stay home from school, saying he wasn’t feeling well. I told him we would have to take his temperature to see if he had a fever. He was expecting the normal thermometer, so when I went into his room carrying my rather large candy thermometer he was unexpectedly cured lol! Poor Dillon, with his mother’s strange sense of humour!
These are the ingredients I used to make it. I got the cinnamon extract at my local bulk store.
I put the water, corn syrup, sugar and red food colouring into a large pot, put it on medium high heat and let it come to a boil. I let it boil for about 5 minutes then reduced the heat to medium and let it simmer (without stirring) until it reached the hard crack stage…. this took about 40 minutes. (Because I couldn’t find my candy thermometer I had to test it the old fashioned way by spooning a little bit of the syrup into a cup of very cold water and when the syrup solidified enough that it would crack once it set, it was done)
After it reached the hard crack stage, I poured it into the baking sheet I had already prepared.
I let it stand (in the fridge or on the counter) until it had set and could be broken into pieces. I sprinkled the top with icing sugar.
I broke it into small, bite sized pieces and I am keeping it in the fridge until it is ready to bag for our Christmas baskets!
Cinnamon Hard Candy
Preparation Time: 5 minutes Cooking Time: 45 minutes Servings: 9 x 13 sheet before breaking into pieces
- 1 cup water
- 1 1/2 cups corn syrup
- 3 3/4 cups white sugar
- 1 tsp. red food colouring
- 1 tsp. cinnamon extract
- 2 tbsp. icing sugar
- Line a 9 x 13 baking sheet with aluminum foil and spray lightly with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large pot, whisk together water, corn syrup, sugar and red food colouring.
- Place over medium high heat and bring to a boil. Allow to boil for 5 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium and allow to simmer until it reaches the hard crack stage (approximately 45 minutes)
- Pour into prepared baking sheet and allow to cool/set.
- Sprinkle candies with icing sugar and break into bite sized pieces.