I have seen versions of this type of cookie all over the internet and wanted to try it this year….. hoping it wasn’t one of those “it’s not as easy as it looks online” projects. It was surprisingly simple… thankfully.
These cookies look great on the cookie trays, adding a nice splash of colour to the cookies displayed and taste just as good as they look. They taste delicious as well. The smell when cooking was a combination of cookies, green apple and cherry and the other jolly rancher candies flavours that I used. You can still taste the different flavours once they become stained glass as well!
These are the ingredients I used to make the stained glass cookies.
To make the cookie dough, I started by creaming together the sugar, butter/margarine and cream cheese until blended.
Next came the eggs and vanilla, mixing until smooth.
And then the flour to form the dough. I let the dough chill in the fridge for about 15 minutes or so.
While the dough was in the fridge chilling, I put the different flavours of the jolly rancher candies in sandwich bags and took my little pink hammer to the bags to break the candies into pieces.
Once chilled, I rolled out the dough in batches and used my donut cutter to make the rings and hole in the centre.
I transferred the donut shape to my parchment paper lined baking sheets and baked them at 375 degrees for about 5 minutes.
I removed the pans from the oven and sprinkled different colours of the broken candy pieces into the space in the middle. You can use just one colour or you can make it mulit coloured, whatever your preference.
Then baked them for an additional 4 minutes, again at 375 degrees. You can see how cool the centres of the cookies look after the candies melting in the oven.
I let them fully cool before transferring them to a plate so that the candies in the middle reset.
And here are my really cool stained glass cookies!
Stained Glass Cookies
Preparation Time: 10 minutes Baking Time: 10 minutes Servings: 4 dozen cookies
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1 cup butter/margarine, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- Jolly Rancher candies, about 25
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In bowl of stand mixer, cream together sugar, butter/ margarine and cream cheese until blended.
- Add egg yolks and vanilla and mix until smooth.
- Add flour to make the cookie dough and let dough chill for about 15 minutes.
- Separate candies by colour and place in sandwich bags.
- Break candies into pieces using small hammer.
- Roll dough out onto floured surface and cut with donut cutter to form circles with hole in the middle.
- Bake at 375 for 5 minutes.
- Remove from oven and sprinkled some of the broken candies into the space in the centre of the cookies, varying colours to suit preference.
- Return to oven for an additional 5 minutes.
- Allow to completely cool before transferring to a plate to enjoy!