We finally ran out of Pumpkin Pie and all the other Christmas desserts. I, as usual, made way too much of everything but at least it carried me through and made dinners and desserts fairly effortless for the past week lol!
I couldn’t really decide what to make for dessert the other night and to be totally honest I wasn’t in the mood to actually bake so I tried something different based on Baked Apples. I had some pastry in the freezer from making pies, so I cored and stuffed the apples with an oatmeal, brown sugar, walnut mixture, put some pastry on top and baked them into little apple pies in apples. They were delicious and with the cinnamon in the mixture smelled awesome when baking!
Here are the ingredients I used…. except I forgot to put the oatmeal in the picture… one of the first posts of the new year and I am already forgetting to add ingredients lol!!!
The first thing I did was to cut the tops of the apples off, as in the picture, and cored them using a teaspoon.
In a small bowl, I melted the margarine and added the oatmeal, brown sugar, cinnamon, ginger and walnuts, mixing to fully combine the ingredients.
I filled the space in each apple I had cored with the mixture.
Next I rolled out a small amount of the pastry I had… it was probably about 1/2 cup of pastry, and cut it into strips.
And then I “wove” the pastry strips on the tops of each apple.
I baked them at 350 degrees for about 25 minutes, until the pastry was starting to brown and apples looked like the skin was starting to shrivel and I had some great tasting Baked Apple “Pies” for dessert!
When I was dishing them out I put a drizzle of caramel ice cream topping on them, mostly for decoration, but I did add a little bit of extra tastiness to the apples!
Baked Apple “Pies”
Preparation Time: 10 minutes Baking Time: 25 minutes Servings: 4
- 4 medium apples
- 1/4 cup oatmeal
- 2 tbsp. butter/margarine
- 2 tbsp. brown sugar
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. ginger
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- premade pastry, about 1/2 cup
- caramel ice cream topping, optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line baking pan with parchment paper (I used a small round cake pan).
- Wash apple and cut the tops off. Core to remove any seeds.
- In small bowl, melt butter/ margarine and add oatmeal, brown sugar, cinnamon, ginger and walnuts. Mix well.
- Spoon walnut mixture into spaces created by coring apples.
- Roll out pastry and cut into thin strips.
- Weave pastry to form basket weaving texture on tops of apples, cutting off any excess.
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 25 minutes, until pastry is starting to brown and apple skin looks like it’s starting to shrivel.
- Optional, drizzle caramel ice cream sauce over top when serving.