I had some leftover Cranberry Sauce I had made for Christmas dinner and I was thinking of what I could make with it. Normally I would have made an apple crisp, adding the cranberry sauce… this year I chose to go in a different…. and can I say delicious direction! Homemade cranberry sauce, mixed with sliced fresh apple in a homemade crust with a delicious crumb topping! Does it get any better???
This is a great way to use up any leftover cranberry sauce!
Here are the ingredients I used to make the pie.
I had some pastry leftover still in the freezer so I thawed it and made my pastry shell. You can use whatever recipe you want, or even a premade crust. Either way, roll out or unthaw a single crust pie shell. I couldn’t find any of my pie plates… I must have sent them home with leftovers… so I just used a deep dish glass baking pan.
Next I washed, peeled and sliced the apples into a large bowl.
I added the cranberry sauce, sugar and cinnamon to the bowl and mixed until it was fully combined.
I microwaved this mixture on high heat for about 5 minutes, stirring twice, to soften the apples up a little before adding them to the uncooked pie shell.
Next I added the flour, brown sugar, and softened butter/margarine to a medium bowl and using a fork mixed it until it forms crumbles.
I spread it evenly over the top of the pie, getting right to the edges.
And baked the pie at 375 degrees for about 40 minutes, until the pastry was browning and the crumb topping was also starting to brown.
I let it cool slightly before cutting into slices and serving!
Cranberry Apple Crumble Pie
Preparation Time: 20 minutes Baking Time: 40 minutes Servings: 6 – 8
- uncooked pie shell, homemade or frozen
- 6 – 8 medium apples
- 1 cup cranberry sauce
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup flour
- pinch of salt
- 1/4 cup butter/margarine, softened
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Prepare pie shell and set aside.
- Wash, peel and slice apples into large bowl.
- Add cranberry sauce, sugar and cinnamon and mix well.
- Microwave on high heat for about 5 minutes, stirring once, to soften apples (optional).
- Pour apple/cranberry mixture into uncooked pie shell.
- In medium bowl, mix together flour, brown sugar and butter/margarine until crumbly.
- Sprinkle crumbles over the top of the pie, getting right to the edges.
- Bake at 375 degrees for about 40 minutes, until pie shell is browned and crumbles are starting to brown.
- Allow to cool slightly before cutting into slices and serving.