I would like to say this is an actual recipe but it is more a process I went through when my plan to make blueberry waffles fell through. I think I mentioned in an earlier post that Dillon bought me a new waffle maker for Christmas this year. The only problem is that it is one of the waffle makers with the pour spout on it and on the spout is a plastic grid… a grid that blueberries will not fit through.
I had bought a half pint of blueberries with the intention of making the waffles but had to rethink this when I realized the blueberries wouldn’t fit lol. This is where the idea came to make a sauce out of the blueberries instead… and from the almost licked clean plates I would have to say it was a success!
I didn’t take an ingredients picture because this was unplanned, I did however think to take pictures of the actual process.
I had purchased a bag of 10 grain pancake and waffle mix that I thought would be suitable for me and that the boys would also enjoy.
I put the blueberries in a medium bowl with 3 tbsp. of sugar and about 1/4 cup of water and stirred to dissolve the sugar.
I microwaved it on high heat for about 2 minutes until the blueberries softened. I then added about 1 tbsp. of corn starch dissolved in a 1/4 cup of water to the blueberries and microwaved it for another minute or two until I had a nice, fairly thick sauce to go on the waffles.
I sprinkled their waffles with some icing sugar and then spread the blueberry sauce over the top and let them dig in. Definitely a good save with the blueberries and something I am sure they will ask for again!