The kids were supposed to come up last weekend, but due to a severe weather warning we put it off to the coming weekend. I had planned on making a pot of soup for lunch when they came up. Chris insisted that I could still make the pot of soup…. for him lol. Well, I did end up making the soup and we did have it for lunch…. and dinner that day. Made for an easy dinner day and everyone had some nice hot homemade soup in their bellies to wait out the storm!
Here are the ingredients I used to make the soup…. chicken breasts and lots of good veggies!
To start, I put the carrots, onion, salt & pepper, thyme and celery into my big pot with the minced garlic and about a 1/3 cup of margarine/butter and sautéed it for about 5 minutes, until the onions had softened.
Next I mixed the flour in with the veggies and let it cook for an additional 2 – 3 minutes.
I added the broth and brought it to a boil over medium high heat. I reduced the heat to medium and added the diced chicken… allowing it to simmer to cook the chicken for about 30 minutes.
After the 30 minutes, I added the diced potatoes and let it simmer over medium heat for about 20 minutes, until the potatoes were tender.
I added the cream to the soup and let it simmer for another 5 minutes before serving. (I also added a bit of dried parsley because I like how it adds to the soup lol)
Then all I had to do was scoop it into the waiting bowls and add a little bit of grated cheese on top and we had a delicious lunch…. and dinner!
Cream of Chicken Soup
Preparation Time: 10 minutes Cooking Time: 55 minutes Servings: 6 – 8
- 1/3 cup butter/margarine
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 celery stalks, sliced
- 4 carrots, sliced
- 5 tbsp. flour
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 tsp. salt
- pepper to taste
- 1 tsp. thyme
- 3 tsp. minced garlic
- 4 medium potatoes, washed and diced
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- 1 cup table cream
- In a large pot, sauté onion, celery, carrots and minced garlic with butter/margarine, salt and pepper and thyme for about 5 minutes, until onions start to soften.
- Add flour and cook an additional 2 – 3 minutes.
- Add broth and bring to a boil.
- Add diced chicken, reduce heat to medium and allow to simmer for about 30 minutes, until chicken is cooked.
- Add potatoes, and continue to simmer over medium heat for about 20 minutes, until potatoes are tender.
- Add table cream and allow to simmer an additional 5 minutes before serving.
- If desired, sprinkled soup with grated cheese after ladling into bowls.