When I made the Cream of Chicken soup last weekend Chris asked me if I was going to make some grilled cheese to go with it for dinner. I don’t know about you, but making grilled cheese in the frying pan for more than 2 people is a pain and you can’t usually all eat together. I told him… sort of lol.
I decided to make some ham and cheese, and turkey and cheese, sandwiches in the oven using hamburger buns instead of bread and adding a bit to the sandwiches….why go halfway lol? Below is how I made these sandwiches… and let me say that Dillon ended up eating 5 of the 8 sandwiches!!!! They may not take very good pictures but they sure tasted great!
These are the ingredients I used to make the sandwiches.
I started by frying some sliced onions in the frying pan with 2 tbsp. butter/margarine until they were almost burned lol…I had actually only intended to caramelize them but I got distracted.
While the onions were cooking/burning, I melted 6 tbsp. butter/margarine in the microwave over high heat, and then whisked in the Worcestershire sauce and Dijon mustard.
I placed the bottoms of the hamburger buns into my parchment paper lined baking pan and brushed them with the butter mixture.
I topped them with first the turkey/ham and the onions….
And then lots of grated cheese.
I put the tops on the buns and then brushed them with the remaining butter mixture.
And baked them at 350 degrees for about 25 minutes before serving! While they didn’t take very good pictures, they sure passed the taste test!!!
Oven Baked Sandwiches
Preparation Time: 15 minutes Cooking Time: 25 minutes Servings: 8 sandwiches
- 8 hamburger buns
- 8 thin slices ham
- 8 thin slices turkey
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 8 tbsp. butter/margarine
- 2 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 1 1/2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 4 cups grated cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line baking pan with parchment paper.
- Fry onions with 2 tbsp. butter/margarine until caramelized.
- In small bowl, melt 6 tbsp. butter/margarine in microwave on high heat for about 1 minutes.
- Whisk in Dijon mustard and Worcestershire sauce.
- Place bottoms of hamburger buns in prepared baking pan.
- Brush bun bottoms with butter mixture.
- Place 2 slices of turkey or ham on each bun.
- Divide caramelized onions between sandwiches.
- Sprinkle about 1/2 cup cheese on each sandwich.
- Place tops of buns on sandwiches and brush with remaining butter mixture.
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 25 minutes.