Although we had to postpone our visit again due to weather to the coming weekend, I still made another pot of soup for when Kim and family were coming up last weekend. I did freeze it, well most of it because Chris wanted a bowl lol, so that I would still have it to simply reheat for this weekend’s visit because once I told Kim what kind of soup I had made, her response was a resounding Yummmmmmm lol! Below is the recipe for this soup… if you love broccoli cheese soup, this is definitely a recipe you will want to try!
Below are the ingredients I used to make the soup.
To start, I washed and trimmed the broccoli and steamed it in these cool bags I picked up one day at the dollar store.
While the broccoli was steaming, I started the rest of the soup. I put the grated carrot, onion and broccoli in a large pot with the vegetable oil and sautéed it for about 4 – 5 minutes, until the onions started to soften.
Next I added the flour, mixing it in really well and let it cook an additional 2 – 3 minutes, being careful not to burn it.
I added the chicken broth next, whisked it in and then added the cream. I let this mixture heat through over medium heat, whisking every once in a while to make sure it didn’t stick or anything.
The cheeses were next, stirring until they melted.
Once the cheese had melted, I chopped and added the broccoli to the pot.
Stirred to mix in the broccoli and then let it heat over low heat for about 20 minutes before serving. And it is DELICIOUS! This could be your next go to when you want a nice bowl of broccoli cheese soup!
Cream of Broccoli & Asiago Soup
- 1 head broccoli, trimmed and cut apart
- 3 tsp. vegetable oil
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and grated
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 tsp. minced garlic
- 4 tbsp. flour
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup cream
- 2 cups grated old cheddar
- 2 cups grated asiago cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- Wash and trim broccoli and steam. Set aside.
- In a large pot, add vegetable oil, grated carrot, chopped onion, minced garlic and salt and pepper.
- Saute over medium high heat until onions start to soften, about 4 – 5 minutes.
- Add flour and mix well.
- Continue cooking over medium heat for another few minutes, being careful not to burn it.
- Pour in chicken broth and whisk to combine.
- Add cream and stir well.
- Allow to heat through over low heat, about 20 minutes.
- Add grated cheeses and stir until cheese melts.
- Chop steamed broccoli and add to pot.
- Stir in broccoli and allow to heat an additional 10 minutes before serving.
- Optional: sprinkle a little grated cheese on top when serving.