I really try to change up what type of bread I make to have with dinner or for sandwiches, just to keep things interesting…. not that we couldn’t devour plain old homemade white bread every single day but at some point you would think it would get boring. The other night I made this version of my homemade bread and watched it be devoured too lol. Homemade bread doesn’t last long in this house but it sure does make the house smell awesome when it’s actually baking! Yum!
The picture below shows the ingredients used to make this bread.
I started by adding 2 cups of flour, yeast, sugar, and salt.
In a large microwave safe measuring cup I added the milk, water and first amount of butter/margarine. I cooked it on high heat for about 90 seconds until the mixture was warmed and the butter/margarine was starting to melt.
Next I poured the milk mixture into the bowl of my stand mixer with the flour mixture.
And mixed until it made a sticky dough but it was all combined.
I kept adding more flour to the mixture, using the dough hook, until the dough came away from the sides of the bowl and formed a smooth dough.
I let the dough knead for about 6 minutes until it formed a smooth dough. I placed the dough in a greased bowl, greased the top of the dough, covered it with a tea towel and let it rise until doubled, about 1 hour.
I punched down the dough, shaped it into a loaf and placed it in my parchment paper lined loaf pan, then allowed it to rise for another 45 minutes, covered.
After the second rising, I cut a slit across the top of the loaf using a sharp knife.
Poured the melted butter/ margarine in the slit, opening it up with the knife a bit if necessary….
Then baked it at 375 degrees for about 35 minutes, until it was well browned on top and cooked through.
I let it cool slightly and then sliced to serve with dinner.
Buttered Crust Bread
Preparation Time: 15 minutes Rising Time: 1 hr. 45 min. Baking Time: 35 minutes Servings: 1 large loaf
- 4 cups flour
- 3 tsp. yeast
- 2 tbsp. sugar
- 1 tsp. salt
- 3/4 cup milk
- 3/4 cup + 2 tbsp. water
- 3 tbsp. butter/margarine
- 2 tbsp. butter/margarine, melted
- Line large loaf pan with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Place 2 cups flour, sugar, salt, yeast in bowl of stand mixer and combine.
- In a large, microwave safe measuring cup add milk, water and first amount of butter/margarine.
- Microwave on high heat for about 90 seconds until milk is starting to melt and mixture is warm.
- Pour milk mixture into bowl of stand mixer and mix until blended, to form a sticky dough.
- Add remaining flour, 1/2 cup at a time until it forms a smooth dough that pulls away from the sides of the bowl.
- Knead dough for about 6 minutes , until it forms a smooth dough ball.
- Place dough ball in greased bowl, grease top of dough and cover with tea towel.
- Allow to rise in a warm place for about 1 hour, until doubled in size.
- Punch down dough and shape into a loaf.
- Cover loaf with tea towel and allow to rise another 45 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Once dough has risen for the second time, cut a slit in the top of the loaf.
- Pour the second amount of butter/margarine, melted into the slit, using a knife to hold open the slit if necessary.
- Bake at 375 degrees for about 35 minutes, until the top is fully browned and loaf is cooked through.
- Allow loaf to cool slightly before slicing and serving.