Yesterday we had a nasty winter storm forecasted. While we did get the storm it wasn’t as bad as they originally called for. Not to say we didn’t get a sh*tload of snow and very windy conditions, we didn’t get the almost foot of snow they said we would… thankfully. It is still a mess outside but at least we missed most of it.
With a storm coming, it seemed the perfect day for a pot of stew and a loaf of freshly baked bread. I prepared everything first thing in the morning…. just in case we ended up losing power. I figured it would be very easy to just switch the plug on the crock pot to the generator if needed and still be able to serve a nice hot, storm worthy dinner!
For a bit of a twist, I added a can of cheddar cheese soup to the stew to add a little bit of cheese flavour to the thick and hearty stew.
Here are my ingredients… well except I forgot to put the minced garlic in the picture and the corn starch I used at the end (optional) to make it a really thick, stick to your ribs sort of stew.
To start, I diced the still partially frozen chicken breasts and placed them in my frying pan with a little bit of olive oil, rosemary, thyme, salt & pepper and the minced garlic, and let the chicken brown while I prepared the veggies.
I washed, peeled and chopped/sliced the vegetables and added them to the bowl of the crock pot with the chicken broth and poultry seasoning.
In a small bowl, I mixed together the flour, cheddar soup and cream, whisking to combine.
I added this mixture to the veggies and broth and mixed it in.
When the chicken was browned and partially cooked I added it to the crock pot too.
I set the crock pot to Low Heat and let it cook for about 6 hours. NOTE: Optional – mix together 2 tbsp. corn starch with 1/4 cup cold water and add to stew to thicken. I served it with a little bit of grated cheese on top!
Crock Pot Chicken Stew
- 3 large, boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tsp. rosemary
- 1 tsp. thyme
- salt & pepper to taste
- 3 tsp. minced garlic
- 3 cup chicken broth
- 2 cups halved baby carrots
- 3 or 4 mushrooms, sliced
- 1 small to medium onion
- 1 yellow pepper
- 3 or 4 medium potatoes, unpeeled
- 1 can cheddar cheese soup
- 5 tbsp. flour
- 1 cup cream
- 1 tsp. poultry seasoning
- 1 tbsp. parsley
- 2 tbsp. corn starch & 1/4 cup cold water, optional
- 4 tbsp. grated cheese, optional
- Dice chicken breasts and add to frying pan with olive oil, minced garlic, thyme, rosemary and salt & pepper.
- Brown chicken pieces over medium high heat.
- Wash, peel, slice vegetables and add to bowl of crock pot.
- Add chicken broth to crock pot and stir.
- In small bowl, whisk together cheddar soup, flour and cream.
- Add soup mixture to crock pot and stir to combine.
- Add browned chicken to crock pot with poultry seasoning and parsley.
- Stir to combine and cook over Low Heat for about 6 – 8 hours.
- Optional: Mix together corn starch and cold water and add to stew to thicken.
- Serve with a little bit of grated cheese, optional.