This meatloaf was an experiment. I make bread using the same basic concept and thought I would transfer the idea to meatloaf. While the outcome was delicious, next time I won’t make the meat part of the meatloaf so thin when flattening it out. Because I made it too thin, the top of the meatloaf split while cooking but it certainly didn’t affect the taste any!
Here are the ingredients I started with to make the meatloaf.
In a large bowl, I mixed together the ground beef, bread crumbs, taco seasoning and egg, and mixed well.
I spread it out with my fingers onto a sheet of parchment paper to form a rectangle.
In a medium bowl, I mixed together the chopped peppers, diced red onion, salsa and cheese.
I spread this mixture evenly over the rectangle meat mixture.
And then I started to roll it up, like rolling cinnamon buns, peeling back the parchment paper as I went.
Until it was fully rolled and then I placed it in a parchment paper lined baking pan.
I cooked the meatloaf for about 40 minutes at 350 degrees.
While the meatloaf was cooking, I mixed together the second amount of salsa with 2 tbsp. brown sugar.
After the 40 minutes, I removed the meatloaf from the oven and spread the salsa mixture all over the top of the meatloaf then sprinkled it with the second amount of grated cheese.
I put it back in the oven for another 10 minutes before letting it stand 10 minutes on the counter before slicing.
On a side note… I also decided that night to make roast potatoes that I had coated in olive oil, a couple tbsp. of taco seasoning and grated cheese, roasting them along with the meatloaf. Chris and Dillon loved these as well!
I sliced the meatloaf and served it up with the roast potatoes and veggies.
Rolled Cheesy Pepper Stuffed Meatloaf
- 1 lb. lean ground beef
- 3/4 cup bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp. taco seasoning
- 2 sweet peppers
- 1/2 cup diced red onion
- 1 cup salsa
- 3/4 cup grated cheese
- 1/3 cup salsa
- 2 tbsp. brown sugar
- 1/4 cup grated cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line 9 x 13 baking pan with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, by fork and by hand, mix together ground beef, bread crumbs, ketchup and egg.
- Spread meat mixture into a rectangle, about 8 x 10 inches.
- In a medium bowl, mix together chopped peppers, red onion, and first amounts of salsa and cheese.
- Spread pepper mixture over entire surface of rectangle.
- Roll up, jelly roll style, pulling parchment paper back as you roll, until fully rolled.
- Place in prepared baking pan and cook at 350 degrees for 40 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combined second amount of salsa with brown sugar and spread a across top of meatloaf then sprinkle with second amount of cheese.
- Bake an additional 10 minutes.
- Let meatloaf sit an additional 10 minutes before slicing and serving.