I was making ham and pineapple the other night for “the boys,” and was thinking about what I would make with it. I don’t know why, but as soon as I think about making ham, I think about scalloped potatoes, so that’s what I made. They just seem to be The side dish that goes with it.
While no one really likes the “old fashioned” way of making scalloped potatoes…. making it by layering the sliced potatoes with onions and flour and then adding dabs of butter and pouring milk over top before cooking. I always found that so tasteless and that sort of defeats the purpose of cooking for me!
Adding some cheese and lots of garlic makes way more sense and practically disappears off the plates!
Here are the ingredients I use to make scalloped potatoes… except for the parmesan cheese… that was a last minute addition while preparing it.
The first thing I do is to thinly slice the washed potatoes… with the peel on and then add half of them to my greased roast pan.
I melt the butter/margarine in the microwave and then whisk in the minced garlic and salt and pepper.
And then the flour….
Next I whisk in the milk and cook it on high heat in the microwave until thickened. It generally takes about 3 – 5 minutes. Then I add 1 cup of grate cheese to the mixture, stirring until the cheese melts.
I pour half of the mixture over the first layer of sliced potatoes.
I sprinkle about 1 cup of grated cheese on top, followed by 1/4 cup of grated parmesan.
Then repeat layers, ending with there being cheese on top.
I baked it at 350 degrees for about 1 hour, until the potatoes were bubbling in the pan and the cheese on top was melted and browned.
I let it stand for about 5 minutes and then scooped it onto the plates with the ham and pineapple.
Easy Cheese Scalloped Potatoes
- 5 or 6 medium potatoes, wash and thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup butter/ margarine
- 3 tsp. minced garlic
- 3 tbsp. flour
- 3 cups milk
- 3 cups grated cheese, divided
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan, divided, optional
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease small roast pan.
- Wash and thinly slice potatoes, leaving skin on.
- Place half of the sliced potatoes flat in the bottom of the prepared roast pan.
- In a microwave safe, medium sized bowl melt butter/ margarine.
- Whisk in minced garlic and salt and pepper.
- Whisk in flour until smooth.
- Add milk and whisk until fully combined.
- Microwave milk mixture on high heat for about 3 – 5 minutes, until thickened.
- Add 1 cup grated cheese and stir until the cheese is melted.
- Pour half of the milk/cheese mixture over first layer of potatoes.
- Sprinkle with 1 cup grated cheese and 1/2 cup grated parmesan.
- Repeat layers, ending with cheese on top.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour.
- Let stand 5 minutes before serving.