This recipe is for a delicious, tender chicken dinner. It is made in one pan (other than the accompanying rice) and ends up with lots of the wonderfully sweet bourbon sauce to spoon over the chicken and over the rice! A definite must try!
Here is the ingredient picture showing what I used to make this recipe.
To start, I cut the chicken breasts into 1 inch cubes and placed them in a large freezer bag. I added 2 tbsp. corn starch and the salt & pepper to taste, shaking the bag to coat the chicken breast pieces evenly.
I heated 2 tbsp. of vegetable oil in my frying pan and added the chicken cubes. (I had to cook them in two batches, keeping the first batch in the oven to stay warm while I cooked the second batch.)
I cooked the chicken on medium high heat for about 10 minutes, until it was cooked through.
I remove second batch of chicken cubes to the oven to stay warm.
In a large measuring cup, I whisked together the brown sugar, bourbon, water, ketchup, apple juice, soya sauce, apple cider vinegar, broth, onion salt, ginger and cayenne, and added it to the pan.
I brought this mixture to a full boil before adding the chicken cubes back into the pan.
I let this simmer over medium low heat for about 15 minutes, until it started to thicken.
In a small bowl, I whisked together 1 tbsp. corn starch and 2 tbsp. water and added it to the pan, stirring until desired thickness.
Once thickened I served it over brown rice I had cooked in chicken broth and sprinkled some chopped green onion on top.
Sweet Bourbon Chicken
- 5 or 6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 3 tbsp. corn starch, divided
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 2 tsp. minced garlic
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup apple juice
- 1/2 cup bourbon
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup soya sauce
- 2 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp. onion salt
- 1 tsp. ginger
- 1 tsp. cayenne
- Cut chicken breasts into 1 inch cubes.
- Add chicken to large freezer bag and add 2 tbsp. corn starch, salt and pepper to taste.
- Shake bag until chicken cubes are fully coated.
- Using 2 tbsp. of vegetable oil for each batch of chicken, fry chicken pieces until cooked through.
- Remove chicken once cooked, and place in pan in the oven, set to 350 degrees until next step.
- In a large measuring cup, whisk together water, apple juice, bourbon, broth, ketchup, brown sugar, soya sauce, apple cider vinegar, onion salt, ginger and cayenne.
- Pour mixture into frying pan and bring to a full boil.
- Add chicken pieces back into pan and allow to simmer over medium low heat for 15 minutes, until sauce is starting to thicken.
- In a small bowl, whisk together 1 tbsp. corn starch with 2 tbsp. water and add to pan.
- Continue stirring over medium high heat until desired thickness.
- Spoon over rice or noodles and sprinkle with chopped green onions, optional.