I decided to apply a few cake “finishes” I have been wanting to try to the cake I was making for a family birthday(s) celebration last weekend. Because I used so many different ideas I am typing this post in three steps/parts.
While it was very time consuming to make and decorate this cake… and my hands are still multi-coloured lol…. the cake was a huge hit and everyone loved it. One family member told me she didn’t even think it was a real cake? I am not sure why she thought I would bring a fake cake to a birthday celebration is beyond me lol!
Because I didn’t have 4 cake pans the same size, I used aluminum pans to ensure they were more or less the same size for the layers… one of them becoming Dillon’s Hello Kitty Cake lol!
Below are the ingredients I used to make the cake. I opted to make a simple white cake for this one.
To start, I added the butter, sugar and vanilla to the bowl of my stand mixer and creamed it together for about 5 minutes until it was very smooth and fluffy.
I mixed the flour, baking powder and salt in a small bowl and set aside.
I started to add the eggs to the butter/sugar mixture, 2 eggs at a time until they were fully combined, before adding the flour mixture in 3 parts.
Lastly, I added the buttermilk and vanilla and mixed until smooth.
I forgot how big this recipe is and how full the bowl of my stand mixer gets when making it lol!
I divided the cake batter between the 4 round cake pans….
And baked them at 350 degrees until they had browned on top and were cooked through.
Once they had cooled I cut off the rounded tops so they would layer evenly and froze the cakes after wrapping them really well until it was time to decorate them.
“The Cake” – Part #1 – Baking the Cake
- 5 cups flour
- 2 tbsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 cups butter/margarine, softened
- 2 3/4 cups white sugar
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- 8 eggs
- 2 cups butter milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease cake pans.
- In a medium bowl, mix together flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In bowl of stand mixer, cream together butter/margarine until smooth and fluffy, about 5 minutes.
- Add eggs to cake batter, 2 at a time, until well combined.
- Add flour to mixture in 3 parts.
- Add buttermilk and vanilla and mix until smooth.
- Pour cake batter into 4 – 9″ round baking pans.
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 1 hour, until browned on top and cooked through.
- Allow to cool before cutting founded top from layers so cake sits evenly.