Last weekend we had another unplanned Mexican food weekend. I had some leftover taco meat and other than adding it to a Taco Salad I was making, I also decided to add it to some grilled cheese. “The Boys” loved them…. some more than others lol… Dillon ended up eating 3 of them !!!
They are cooked the same as any grilled cheese sandwich made in a frying pan on the stove top, they just have a lot of extras in them!
Here are the ingredients I used to make the sandwiches.
The first thing I did was to chop up the lettuce and onions.
I buttered the outside of each slice of bread, adding two pieces to the bottom of my frying pan and spreading sour cream on top.
Next I added about 1/2 cup of grated cheese to each piece.
Next came the taco meat….
The diced tomatoes, green onion and lettuce…
Another layer of grated cheese…
And finally before the top slices of bread, buttered side up, before cooking it over high heat on the stove top. Mine took about 2 minutes a side to become a nicely browned sandwich!
Taco Grilled Cheese Sandwiches
- 8 slices bread
- 4 tbsp. sour cream
- Butter or margarine
- 1/4 lb. lean ground beef
- 2 tbsp. taco seasoning
- 2 tbsp. water
- 1/2 cup diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup green onions
- 1/3 cup chopped iceberg lettuce
- 2 cups grated cheese
- Butter all 8 pieces of bread, making sure the buttered side is up when assembling.
- Place 2 pieces of bread, buttered side down in frying pan.
- Add 1 tbsp. sour cream to each and spread to evenly coat bread.
- Add taco meat evenly between all sandwiches.
- Top taco meat with tomatoes, onions and lettuce.
- Sprinkle remaining cheese evenly on all sandwiches.
- Place top piece of bread, again with buttered side up.
- Cook over high heat, turning once to ensure both sides are evenly browned