Last week was Chris’ birthday, so of course I made a special meal for him of BBQ brisket, his favourite potatoes, veggies, Caesar salad, whole wheat baguette and his favourite Faux Black Forest Cake. He gorged himself but definitely enjoyed the meal… Happy Birthday Chris!
This recipe did take time…. most of it spent waiting but I made it over the course of two days… so be prepared to hurry up and wait lol!
Here is my ingredients picture for this recipe.
The first thing I did was to combine the paprika, brown sugar, chili powder, garlic powder, salt, pepper, onion salt, thyme and cayenne in a small bowl to make the rub.
I “rubbed” it all over the brisket, on both sides.
Then I placed it in a zipper seal big baggie in the fridge overnight.
The next morning (early), I put it on an aluminum foil lined pan and let it cook at 400 degrees for about a half hour.
I put the soya sauce, beef broth, Worcestershire sauce and BBQ sauce in the bowl of the crock pot and whisked it together.
In a small bowl, I mixed together the 2 tsp. rub, ketchup, molasses, brown sugar, apple cider vinegar and liquid smoke, whisking to combine into a thick bbq sauce.
I put the brisket in the bowl of the crock pot and set it to low for about 10 hours.
I flipped the brisket over at about the halfway mark to ensure even cooking.
When the brisket was cooked, I took it out of the crock pot and placed it on a parchment paper lined baking sheet, slathered it in the nice thick bbq sauce and put it in the oven on low broil for about 5 minutes.
Note: You could also do that final step on the grill!
Then all that’s required is to slice and enjoy! It made enough for dinner that and sandwiches for this week at work!
BBQ Brisket in the Crock Pot
- Brisket, about 3 lbs.
- 2 tsp. paprika
- 3 tbsp. brown sugar
- 1 tbsp. chili powder
- 3 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. ground pepper
- 1 tsp. onion salt
- 1 tsp. cayenne
- 1 tsp. thyme
- 1 cup beef broth
- 2 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp. soya sauce
- 1/3 cup bbq sauce
- 1 1/2 cups ketchup
- 1/3 cup molasses
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp. liquid smoke
- 2 tsp. rub mix
- In a small bowl, combine paprika, brown sugar, chili powder, garlic powder, salt, pepper, cayenne and thyme. (Keep 2 tsp. spice mixture for BBQ sauce)
- Rinse the “slime” off the brisket and rub the spice mixture into the brisket, covering all sides.
- Place brisket in large zipper lock freezer bag and let it sit in fridge over night.
- In the bowl of the crock pot add the broth, Worcestershire sauce, soya sauce and bbq sauce, whisking to combine.
- Place brisket on foil lined baking pan and cook at 400 degrees for about 30 minutes.
- Remove the brisket carefully to crock pot bowl and set to cook on low heat for about 10 hours, flipping half way through.
- In a large measuring cup, whisk together ketchup, molasses, brown sugar, apple cider vinegar, liquid smoke and reserved spice mixture
- When brisket is done cooking in crock pot, remove to lined baking sheet..
- Brush with bbq sauce and return to oven on low broil for about 5 minutes.
- Slice and enjoy!